My oldest son (6) does not like my boyfriend of 2 years to come over anymore. Is he just jealous ?

We do a lot of fun things together, and my BF is nice to me and the kids. Not sure if my son is just jealous of me paying attention to my BF or if I should not have them spend time together with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• there may be a real reason why. i would just ask ds why he is acting that way.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• is this a sudden thing? if so, there may be something going on that you need to know about.
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 10:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• there's got to be a reason. perhaps he's just trying to be the man of the house, and is feeling his territory taken over. i know it sounds crazy, but my twin nephews reacted the same way when my sis started dating again. they were about 7 or 8, and they did not like it one bit!!
    you need to have a nice quiet talk with him, and feel him out. and maybe chill the relationship for a time, just to see what happens..if your bf is mature, he'll understand there's a temporary problem, and he'll respect your son's space. i'm not advocating having your ds make your dating decisions, but he should come first, and obviously, he has a problem with either your dating life or your choice of mate. good luck!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Thank you for your comments, this is very helpful, I will talk to my son, and find out if it is a specific issue with BF or more in general. my son definetly comes first no matter what.
    mdeweyer

Answer by mdeweyer at 10:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree! He comes first and you should talk to him. Children can be manipulative power seeking little turds, but you really need to eliminate anything that may be causing your son real stress. Once you eliminate anything major, then just do your best to help him adjust to the situation. I am glad you are a good mom and know that he was there before the boyfriend and will always be there, and that comes first! I hope you find happiness for yourself and your family.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Just ask your son. then go from there. GL
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010