How many of you got preconception check-ups and when did you know you were ready to have kids?

My husband and I got married in April, we've been together for 4 years though. I'm 28 and he's 27. He is so ready to have a baby, keeps asking me when I am going to let him put a baby in me. I am slightly paranoid...I want to be fully prepared. I told him I want us to be fully checked out before we take that plunge. Am I being overdramatic? I am truly terrified of babies, they are so tiny and fragile and I guess I am just afraid I am going to do something wrong. Ironically, I am a school teacher and I love older children...once they get to like 2 they are so great. All my friends' children love me and they would leave their children with me in a heartbeat because they know I'd take good care of them...Any advice would be fantastic!

mamaSomeday

Asked by mamaSomeday at 10:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• We did after our first, only because we wanted to try right away. My ob at the time was a jerk, basically looked at us like why were we there. I would recommend it though, if it will make you feel better.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• well i had to get one because i wasnt having my period. As soon as we decided we wanted a baby i made my appt. ..in march. I did get my period and have been trying but i've been having wacky break through bleeding and everything....errr!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• what i do is i just start acting like i'm already pregnant. i take a pre-natal everyday. i eat healthy, don't drink, smoke, etc. nothing i wouldn't do if i were actually pregnant. i know babies seem so hard to take care of, but honestly it will all come to you naturally. i never even held a newborn baby before i had my first. i had him at 36 weeks and he was so scrawny and skinny lol. i took care of him all by myself for a whole year.... no help from anyone! and he survived lol. you can also take some classes at the hospital. i took a newborn care class that was great bc they showed you how to change a diaper, give the baby a bath, etc. i also took a breast feeding class that was great too. don't worry about it too much. you can learn about babies, etc. but you will soon see that motherhood is full of surprises and that you can do alot more than you give yourself credit for!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010