How many chores does your 10 year old do? And how much do you give for a 10 year old for allowance?

hollyk96

Asked by hollyk96 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 11 year old daughter does and did the following when she was ten: make bed and keep room clean; help with supper; clean up kitchen/table after supper (with sister); clean one bathroom weekly.

IMO the purpose of allowance is two fold: giving children the opportunity to learn how to manage money and learning the value of money. I get paid every two weeks. I give my daughter $10 dollars to manage (donate, save, spend - and she must do all 3). If we have large projects she helps with, she is given a bonus and it depends on the job. She is expected to help with small projects around the house when asked as part of the family. Finally, when she does her own laundry, she will get $5 more per pay.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• When my husband was a kid his mom would make a list of everything that needed to be done, small things like vaccume, dust, sweep kitchen, make bed, exc.. and she would put a price on everything. So like vaccuming was .25 (lol that was a really long time ago but you get the point) Well my hubby even when he was like 5 years old used to make a lil invoice for his mom every week and she would make sure he did them and pay him for what he did. Anyway now because of that he is the most motivated person I have ever met! Thats what i'm going to do with my son. Sorry I didn't really answer your question but it's just maybe an idea. good luck!
    Anonymous

Anonymous

• My 3 kids have a chart. They each do 2 easy choirs a day, and if they complete, they get 5 dollars on friday. If they don't or if they complain, the money goes down
    Leens

Answer by Leens at 9:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• my ten year old has 2 chores . garbage and dishes. he doesn't get paid for those because they are chores but if he does extra (dusting,fold laundry etc...) he gets paid
    tcanady

Answer by tcanady at 10:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I dont give my daughter an allowance for doing things around the house. That is her contributing and helping. She learns that we work together because this is all of ours home. However, if we have extra things to do, (raking, washing the car, etc) then we do give her money for that. Otherwise, at the end of the week if she did her chores well with no complaining, then I pick her u- a treat (t-shirt, or she gets a manicure, etc) on the weekend.

But I LOVE the price list for the chores. I might do that as "extras" to be done so that she can learn money management. Awesome idea. I am making my price lists now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My girls sort and fold the laundry on the weekend and they take turns emptying the dishwasher. Also they have to get all their stuff out of the living room at least once a week. I don't pay them for any of this but if they do extra stuff I do.
    lisafc

Answer by lisafc at 9:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We pay $10 a week per girl. 1/2 of it must go in their bank though so they only keep $5 a week for spending money. They have to do all of their chores before they get their allowance: set table for dinner, remove and put away everything on table after dinner and put runner and centerpiece back, put away their laundry including bath towels, bring their laundry to the laundry room, keep bathroom picked up--no towels/clothes on floor and sink free of toothpaste residue, keep room neat everyday (once a week can be do overwhelming b/c it gets so messy they don't know where to start), clean hamster cage once a week. They are not allowed to leave their stuff laying around the house at all for any reason--not just b/c hubby and I keep a neat house, but b/c the dog will invariably get whatever they left out and it will get chewed up.. if it happens, the answer is TOO BAD b/c you were told to put your stuff away. The dog is much better than he used to be though.. no sense taking a chance.
    georgeswife5014

Answer by georgeswife5014 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• that's funny you ask. i was wondering the same about my 9 yr. old whether or not i give him too much. no i don't. here's the list, clean room, carry dirty clothes to washer & load, take out trash, vaccuum, clear table. my son knows how to seperate loads & wash in the right temp. he's not too good @ keeping his clean thou. but he knows what drawer to put his folded laundry away after i fold them. i don't give him an allowance but he gets rewards like, if there's a movie or game he wants to rent, i rent it.
    marta4274

Answer by marta4274 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My daughter is 10 and she has daily chores that consist of loading and unloading the dishwasher and clearing the dinner table. Then she has others such as tidying her room Tues, Thursday and Saturday's. Cleaning her bathroom on Mondays and she must put away all of her laundry. Wednesday she gets a free pass. If there are other things around the house to be done she is expected to pitch in. I do not pay her in money. I let her earn points which she can apply to whatever she wishes, IE: special privileges, extra tv or computer time, a cute outfit or some new books. She decides where and what to use her points for at the end of a 2 week period.
    belladonna777

Answer by belladonna777 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2008