How do I get my 9 yr old to see he is not all grown up?

faithoflove

Asked by faithoflove at 10:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you dont! lol
    what we did was to set certain rules (it was hard for me to stick by them) limits. explaining an issue in an "adult manner" even though we knew we'd have to break it down...it took a while but, the kiddo slowly came around. good luck!
    racingirl

Answer by racingirl at 10:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• You make him take responsibility for his "adult ways" Make him become an adult. Be sure he is doing everything required from an adult. The dishes, laundry, trash duty, getting up at 6:30 in the morning to go to work... make his work be yard work, house work... etc.. When he wants to go "hang out" with his buddies let him know that adults dont get to hang out with their buddies all day they only get to see their friends once in a great while. This is what we had to do with our daughter and it took about 3 days but she never wanted to be a grown up again. lol Good luck.
    sweetsone

Answer by sweetsone at 10:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Lay alot more adult like responsibilites on him (like half your chores) and for a few days make him do things he doesn't want to liked adults do everyday and maybe he'll be begging to be a kid again. Good luck.
    treece

Answer by treece at 11:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• LOL, just accept it for the next 10 years. Sadly kids get to that point where they are all grown up and their parents know nothing and they know everything. My 6 year old stepson is already starting that. It sadly doesn't go away til the early 20's if then. But if he wants to be an adult treat him somewhat like one. Give him responsibilities like chores or taking care of a pet or something like that. If he doesn't like it explain to him that responsibility is what being an adult is all about.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 1:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• give him more responsiblity than he is ready for and let him see how he sinks. then tell him all that a grown up is responsible for.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• LOL when you find out please tell me!!
    SensualScents

Answer by SensualScents at 12:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I think this kinda like my posted question Mom, I want Mom, I want...so my answer is the same as SensualScents.. Please tell me!, but the overloaded responsibility thing sounds good too!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• try letting him be the adult for the day like get up early wash dishes sort and fold clothes pick out a dinner things that he can do with out hurting himself or others and then he will be happy he is a kid and gets to sleep late and play
    jaes347

Answer by jaes347 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2008