Google Raises Eyebrows With New Gay-Only Employee Benefit

policy is raising some eyebrows after the company revealed it will be compensating employees for taxes paid on domestic partners' health benefits – but only if they’re gay.

The company said in its blog Thursday, that it will be “grossing-up imputed taxes on health insurance benefits for all same-sex domestic partners in the United States.”

But under Google's new policy, the company isn't offering any extra pay to heterosexual domestic partners, because it says heterosexual employees have the option of avoiding the tax by getting married.

So I get what they are TRYING to do here but I dont know that it's exactly right either. So for heterosexual employees they HAVE to get married but Gay couples can JUST be dating. I am not sure about this.....What do you think??

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So I get what they are TRYING to do here but I dont know that it's exactly right either. So for heterosexual employees they HAVE to get married but Gay couples can JUST be dating. I am not sure about this.....What do you think??
    ____________

Yeah I'm agreeing with you here...it's a nice idea but there are a lot of heterosexuals out there that don't really believe in marriage...

So what Google is saying is that they are offering this because gay marriage isn't allowed (because people irrationally fear it will degrade or devalue the sanctity of marriage) yet on the other hand say heterosexual couples should get married for tax reasons...ummm I think I hear irony calling...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think thats BS. If we're all "equals" we should all get the same benefits.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 10:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• does anyone really get married to avoid taxes?
    --------
    No, when you get married, you pay MORE taxes!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Another example of a minority group with special rules to make them more equal than everyone else. How could I find a thing wrong with it??? Somehow, in their effort to treat everyone the same, Google is missing the boat.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I get what they're trying to do, but does anyone really get married to avoid taxes? I wish we could just equal it out - gay or straight, everyone can get married everywhere. Then we don't have to go into these fuzzy details.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 10:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That's discriminatory. it should be the same for all unmarried couples.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I do not need to know what you do in your bedroom. No one needs to know what I do in my bedroom. We are human beings & as long as you aren't hurting other people, we all deserve equal opportunities. The fact that you are gay is telling people how you prefer sex. I don't care. That is gross and a form of sexual harassment & I don't feel that it is a proper workplace conversation topic. Keep it to yourself. If you are gay GREAT, good for you. Do you not feel comfortable enough with just being it that you have to make sure everyone knows how you prefer your sexual partners. I am not prejudice. I want equality. I do not think equality should be based on sexual preferences. The last time I checked that wasn't a question on any job application. This shouldn't even be an issue!
    AshMicGar

Answer by AshMicGar at 11:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• and if homosexuals were allowed to be married, they would too.

they are being penalized for not being able to marry.

it would all be solved with allowing same sex marriage! Then no one could complain about the "discrimination"
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• well, they aren't allowed to get married or they would be able to add their spouse just like a heterosexual would.
    I say WAY TO GO GOOGLE!!!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• if they were allowed to get married they would but of course they don't since they can't get married.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010