Is it ill-advised to plan your wedding before you receive the engagement ring?

We know we're getting married, but he wants to surprise me with the proposal . . . he says I can go ahead and plan, but I don't know. What do you think?

DrJChappell

Asked by DrJChappell at 10:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• If he says to go ahead and plan, then why care what anyone else thinks?
    RyleighsMoM3505

Answer by RyleighsMoM3505 at 6:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• some say it's bad luck. i honestly would not until i got the ring.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I say plan away. I dont know that I would put any $ down or set hard dates. but hell yea wedding planning is fun!!
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• There are many things you can plan. You can start picking out florist, gown shops, caterer. You can check out venues and get a feel for what kind of dresses you want. You can start a notebook with names and phone numbers of wedding activities, and a section in the notebook of names and addresses of people you plan to invite. There is so much that you can get started on now and which won't involve making any commitment.

Answer by Bmat at 10:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I say, I'm a wedding planner, and I never got an engagement ring at all... If you know you're getting married, start planning, why do you need a ring if you know it's going to happen with or without it?

If you are one of the lucky ones, you will only get to get married once, so you want that day to be perfect... Perfection takes time! You can, if nothing else, work on the little stuff now.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• If you know for SURE you are going to marry him, start planning. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I would think it was bad luck! If you want to plan, fine. But don't put any money down on anything.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i had mine half way planned...as far as picking out locations, and the big stuff.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't believe in luck. My wedding was nearly planned when hubby proposed. Sounds like your situation, actually! It was great, and we both had so much fun!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Oh lord my engagement is over now. So honey don't do it to be on the safe side!!!!
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010