can you have a period but not be ovulating?

how common is this?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• yes you can. it depends on your situation...
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• yes you can
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i just read yesterday that you can. seems strange.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sure. Your period is when the lining of the uterus is shed every month. The lining is always there, egg or not.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 10:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Its got to be possible - I mean a lot of birth control keeps women from ovulating, yet they still have their periods - so I'm sure it occurs naturally, too. But I'm not really an expert or anything, that's just my guess! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I am sure anything is possible but according to my nursing books, you cannot be ovulating the same time you are having your period.
    AshMicGar

Answer by AshMicGar at 10:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Most women, on birth control and not on it, will have regular anovulatory cycles during thier lifetime. This is one reason why teenagers do not have a regular cycle. it's because while their body is starting to hit puberty, it's not fully prepared to ovulate every month. This tends to concern a lot of mothers into thinking that there is something wrong with their daughter. It is common for a teen to not have a regular cycle until @17 years of age.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Oh, and for most women, when they don't ovulate, it shortens their cycle or they have a period sooner that normal. Mine of course being the oddball, will get longer. The last time, I went 72 days before I had a period. The only reason you have a period at that time is because the lining of the uterus is so full that it cannot hold any more blood and it forces itself to shed rather that hormones prompting it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i mean..without taking birth control..sorry i forgot to include that
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes. It's called an anovulatory cycle. There are several possible causes, including PCOS.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2010