what are some good motivators to keep you on track while dieting

mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3

Asked by mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• weigh myself every week. go shopping and see all the cute clothes you're gonna buy someday lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• photos! old ones from what you want to be again and those ones that are the recent ones that almost make you cringe
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sparkpeople.com is a very useful website that helped me keep track of my calories, water intake during the day and tracking my physical activity. You might want to look into it (it's free by the way) and see if it might be right for you.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 11:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I have an outfit that use to fit me ( about 2 sizes smaller than I am now) ...hanging up and I have to look at it everytime I wake up...

I use to have a very bad photo of me ont eh the fridge but that only lasted a few day because I got depressed everytime I seen it and therefore I ate more lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Small goals and rewards. For example, say you want to fit in the next size smaller. Once you reach that goal then reward yourself with something that you enjoy. After I had my son, my SIL and I went on a diet together and for every 5 lbs we lost, we went panty shopping. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Tape up skinny pictures of yourself all over the fridge and kitchen counter. And if you don't have any, just put your face on the picture of someone with the body you want.
    Get a shirt or pair of jeans in your goal size and hang them in the living room.
    Put the junk food out of your reach and sight in the back of the highest cabinet so you have to think to get it since you'll have to stand on a chair or pull stuff down. Put the healthier snacks in front of it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• chew gum or mints often. brush your teeth after every meal. eat off small dessert plates, half should be lean protein, and the other side mostly veg with some carb. buy smart pop popcorn or similar and those 20 calorie popsicles so you always have something for a treat that you can have about as much as want without sabotage. when you leave for the day pack snacks with you that you know are ok to have. when eating out check out the menu and nutrition facts online for the place you are going first so you can plan your meal. if it is a big serving get a box and put half away first thing. set your fork down between every bite. don't eat at the computer or in front of the tv or standing up.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I try to visualize what food is doing inside my body. Not in an accurate way, I'm actually kinda dramatic about it. lol. It sounds weird, I know, but it works. Like as I'm drinking water I will visualize it running through and "washing away" fat and black dust. (Like on a Draino commercial where it shows Draino going through the pipes and then the pipes are all clean.) haha. And if I do drink a soda or eat something unhealthy I make myself visualize it as ugly globby-looking fat attaching itself to my body. I rarely take more than one drink or bite.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Oops, I meant kitchen cabinets, not counter. Sorry.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't like the word dieting.... dieting to me means depriving yourself..... to deprive yourself means to FAIL! Thats why people who diet always fail and gain the weight back!

There isn't ONE thing that motivates me to "diet" aka become a more healthy eater. It's a new way of life that takes time to adjust to...
    it's a mental state that needs to build up over time... not a picture posted on the fridge lol

but why ask me?

I'm only a nutritionist, personal trainer, fitness/figure compeitor, and sports nutrition writer. pictures for proof on my page =)
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 11:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010