Illegals come from every country, and all immigrants are not illegal. So why is it ...

That supporting immigration reform and enforcement of laws against ILLEGAL immigration is risking losing the votes of all Latinos?

""Latinos are a key part of the equation," Eliseo Medina, international executive vice president of the Service Employees International Union, said after the address. "We're going to make a difference in Nevada, Arizona, Texas, California and Florida. So in many ways, the Republicans are playing with fire. Hopefully they'll get that message.""
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-immigration-20100702,0,6120193.story

All Latinos automatically support illegal immigration? Seems to me she assumes a lot. Surely you can't paint an entire ethnicity into a political box based on one issue?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well, I know for a fact that's not true. It's just as bigoted to assume that latinos are going to be for something as it is to assume they are illegal.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I dont know, but people seem to have SUCH a difficult time with the distinction of Immigrants and ILLEGAL Immigrants.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's done all the in politics today's pick just happens to be Latino I guess Blacks are have taken a backseat in the political arena.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• There are people who still believe in these narrowminded stereotypes...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well, the lady in the quote works for SEIU, which is pretty much the union for illegal Latino immigrants, so it is only natural for her to make such bigoted assumptions. I just can't figure out how so many illegals can work and join a union if they are illegal!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I live in the wine country, home to many Hispanic immigrants both legal and illegal. A large majority of the legal immigrants are indeed against ILlegal immigration. If they have a chance to see truthful news reports on the issues, they often have values which prioritize morality, abiding by the law, and pro-independence.
    So she is largely mistaken about what they REEALLLY think. BUT ... pause and consider the political bias of most of the news companies, both English AND Spanish networks !!

For a few Hispanics, it might be a problem of having family members who would get deported if the law were enforced - that might influence them.

Astonishingly, I keep seeing these Progressives/Liberals who TRULY canNOT view people as individuals, but only as members of this or that group. They can't fathom any other reality.
    Hence their outrage at a Star Parker or a Sarah Palin, or a Clarence Thomas or a Michelle Malkin ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:56 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Ilegals come from other countries, but I don't think they're flooding The Border the way they are from Mexico, so it's not the same at all.

It's the numbers, not their skin color,
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't think undocumented immigrants are the giant boogieman people make them out to be.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/cost-of-illegal-immigrants/

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/05/does-immigration-cost-jobs/

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/06/arizonas-papers-please-law/

I think there are more pressing issues in this country than illegal immigrants.  We should pass the amnesty law (not "open borders, but amnesty for contributing members of US society) get people on the books.  Everything I have seen shows either a positive economic impact or no net economic impact on the economy. 

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The woman is mistaken. It's not true. Sure Latinos are becoming a bigger part of the voting block but it's a misconception that all Latinos are automatic Liberals and will vote Democratic. If you have been listening to the polls and the news you know there are plenty of Latinos who are conservative and believe in family values.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2010