Do your kids drink enough water in a day?

DS will drink water, that's not an issue. What I can't get him to do is drink as much as he should in a day. That's not a habit I want him taking into adulthood, but he's getting too old for me to "monitor" everything he eats and drinks and I really don't want to be that mom, either.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I really try to push it and educate them, but I don't force it.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• One thing to keep in mind is the 8-8oz glasses is not entirely accurate. take his weight and cut it in half...that's how much water he should drink everyday. Also keep in mind that that amount also comes from the foods that he eats as well.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes, in fact he probably drinks too much water!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That is really all my son usually drinks. He fills his water glass several times a day, and we take our water bottles with us most of the time too.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Thats all she really drinks. I don't really believe in giving kids juice or kool-aid type things throughout the day; water is best for them unless they're at the table. Besides, if you don't have them drink plain water as a kid, they'll never drink it as an adult and that can lead to health problems later.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 11:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son drinks water and tea, and 2 cups of either milk and/or juice a day.
    Like pp said, there's also water in foods as well. If he likes fruit, give him some that have lots of water in them, especially when they're in season. Like watermelon.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We bought them (2 boys 7 & 10 ) a couple of bpa free bottles w/ measurements on. So now they quite enjoy to monitor it themselves...always have them in the fridge, and knows how often they have to drink those 8 oz. a day :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 11:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Try drinking water often in front of him then he will pick up the habit.
    we try to drink water with our dinner sometimes they get upset but deal with it then come the wkend I give them a can of soda I half it and delute it with water.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• oh gosh no, but I am trying to change that.
    missiedoo

Answer by missiedoo at 12:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Cute water bottles; reminders of the health benefits (less illness, less acne)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2010