Can you think of a current event that this Bible verse might describe?

"The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood."

Revelation 8:8

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The first thing that came to mind was the oil spill. I haven't read Revelations yet, I'm still on Acts.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• well first you need to add verse 9 to that as it is a continuation of that second sentence.

"8The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, 9a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed."

as nothing like verse 9 has ever happened, no i cant think of a current event that these verses describe.

mybella, verse 10 talks about something similar to a meteor..."a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch"
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• NEVER fails that the religious drones will find some sort of correlation between current events, and the book of Revelation.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It sounds like a meteor or something. Did you have something in mind? I don't remember the verse exactly so I could be making it up but the oil spill does make me think of a verse about something like 1/3 of the water turning bitter or something like that. I don't think this is it, but I see how it could happen that so much water could be polluted.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• obby, get on with your bad self! (i can get more credits answering than i can voting down..lol!)
    eh, i was thinking more of a tsunami, rather than oil spill. oil spills have happened before, if that's what the OP is indicating. personally, i don't see any thing to get all ruffled about. if you pay attention to the world, you can always ''find some correlation between current events and the book of revelation''..if that's what you want to see. humans have done this for centuries! why sit around and wait for 'signs' when you should be enjoying life, preparing your hearts/minds/loving your neighbors/witnessing of God's love/etc? the end will come when God decides. until then, just be ready, and keep planting those seeds..the harvest is plenty, but the laborers are few.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• or an earthquake, or volanic eruption..but they're nothing new, either.
    dullscissors