How is the best way to clean out in your kids toys???

Mine have SOOOO many it is over flowing in their room, in their play room and in the basement ( where I put 1/2 of them, 'cause they couldn't keep up w/ keeping their room tidy.)

And before someones remarks on the obvious : yes - we know : we have to STOP getting them more... :)

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 11:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I enlist her help in cleaning them out. That way when she realizes that they are gone, it's not a surprise since she was involved. It keeps her from asking where they went. I give her a large tote and tell her that anything she wants to keep has to fit in it and everything else has to go. She is in charge of what she gets to keep but it limits her from keeping everything.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• First I weed out all the ones that are broken or hazardous.

Then I have my son help me in choosing toys to give to other children who don't have cool toys like he does. And have him choose the toys that he really wants to keep.
    The ones that fall in to the "in between" category we set aside - and if he doesn't miss them, they get donated.

We also keep the sentimental toys. Ones that were gifts from relatives that have passed, his "firsts" and I box them up and put them in storage.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Have a yard sale or a toy swap. You can also donate to shelters, daycares, and even some hospitals or dr offices
    missiedoo

Answer by missiedoo at 12:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i let both of mine help me go through theirs. big kid or baby toy. if it is big kid toy it stays. if it is baby it goes. and of course looking for broken toys as well
    rainfey

Answer by rainfey at 4:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have so many toys in bins and downstairs in the basement it isn't funny. I wish I was better at just taking two bags, one to donate and one to trash and cleaning out.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Donate the good ones to such organizations as child abuse centers, womens' shelters, churches.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 11:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I grab a glass of wine and turn on the show Clean House. This motivates me to not let things get too out of hand, and also helps me to let go of some of my sentimental attachments to the toys that my kids couldn't care less about. I start to feel so overwhelmed looking at all of the junky crap toys that are all over my apartment. I have a plastic tub in the laundry area- every time I see a toy that somehow got drug out/I see and I know that my kids barely if ever play with it- I toss it in the tub. Once it is full, I bring it to the local woman's shelter. Also, I try to do one drawer/cupboard/toy box a week (my original plan was each night- that doesn't really work out for me).
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Every couple of months, DS and I go through all of his toys and I let him choose which ones he wants to keep and which ones he wants to give to little kids that don't have any toys. When he chooses a toy that I know he really doesn't play with anymore, I try to persuade him by telling him that he has had a long time to play with that toy and there is a little boy that doesn't have any toys at all and I bet he would love it; he usually makes the right decision and puts it in the give away pile. If he doesn't, he keeps it for a month or so before we do it again. Then I take him to donate his toys to the local woman and children shelter.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 11:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I know exactly how frustrating that is. I have a 9 yo and a 5 yo sharing a room. Their closet was almost half full (stacked). I recently went in there and started throwing away everything that wasn't played with in the past year. Ended up getting rid of 6 g-bags and a box. I had to sneak most of the 5 year olds toys out but the 9 yo helped decide what to keep or throw. In the end both of the girls we're happy to have their space back.
    Blueloveaura

Answer by Blueloveaura at 11:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• use fabreeze, it's a spray
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2010