Is it safe to get a tattoo while breastfeeding??

well, not WHEN breastfeeding lol but if you are a breastfeeding mother??

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• For some reason I think not but I am going to bump this and see if someone knows for sure.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The ink itself can't travel through the milk--or through the bloodstream if you are pregnant!--so that part of it is safe. The real concern is 1) the risk of hepatitis, which is negligible if you use a reputable place that uses new, sealed ink for each tattoo and sterilizes all equipment or uses disposable needles and 2) the risk of infection, which is mainly in the case of the person not taking proper care of the new tat.

The hardest part of getting the tattoo will be finding a tattoo artist who will agree to tattoo a mom who is still breastfeeding, because of the risks above. They don't want to be held liable if the mother gets an infection and the baby gets sick as well. If you take proper precautions and proper care, however, the risk is very low.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Thank you, I really want to get my babys name on me but since there is even a small risk to him I think I will just wait. Thanks you for your answers!
    staciaw

Comment by staciaw (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I got my last ones while BFing. The artist never asked about whether or not I was breastfeeding. He only cared if I was pregnant. The risk is of infection. But if you go to a reputable shop that uses clean needles every time and you keep the tattoo clean, then the risk is basically 0.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2010