would you go cold turkey?

last night my son was naked and went poop on his little potty. He has only gone pee on the toilet twice before this. He is almost 3, can take his clothes off and put them on himself. He tells me when he has a dirty diaper (sometimes). I am considering taking a week and staying home to let my son run around naked and hopefully go potty when he needs to. Have you tried this and had any success? Thank you for your advice:)

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 12:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have not tried that.
    I started potty training my step son when he was 18 months old and was staying weekends at my house.
    He showed all the interest and signs. And then after he got a few stickers on the chart all on his own will i got the go ahead from his grandma (who had custody of him at that time, i was not married yet) to continue training. And so i put him on the toilet every 2 hours. Eventually i moved in with my IL's. he was fully trained by about 27 months or so. Over night, pooping, the whole learning process.

But if you try it i hope it works for you! if he is ready, then it likely will work, i think.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That is pretty much the way we went and it worked out well. My daughter loves to be naked so it was an added bonus to get to run around bare butt. It only took a few days and she was pretty much trained. Good luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes. Right after my son turned 3, we took pulllups away completely. He didn't run around naked, but wore underwear. The first few days were rough, but he within two weeks, he was down to about 1 accident a week.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My daughter turned 2 in the end of march. We started trying to potty train then just to see where she stood, we bought the pull ups and she peed in them probably every 10 min just like her diaper. We stopped and waited about a month or so and tried again and the same thing. Just for shits and giggles I let her run around naked for a while, she told me she had to pee!! I was soo excited, I gave her a pair of boys underwear after that and let her run around in that(that was all I had at the time and I didn't want to buy underwear until I was sure) but she still had a hard time holding it in. So I waited a few more weeks and she actually started telling me she had to go, so I took off her diaper and let her go and let her run around again, this time she was able to hold it, she was fully trained(including night time) in less than a week
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• if he's showing signs that he's ready, i would just start putting him in regular underwear. be prepared for accidents, but he'll catch on soon. my son was potty trained in 2 weeks by using regular underwear. it did take a little bit longer on pooping in the potty though. oh, and my son was 3 mos away from turning 3 when he was potty trained.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 6:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2010