Has your child ever had Croup??

What are the symptoms?
my dd is almost 17 months and shes been sick the past two days. unfortunately we just lost her insurance :/

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a loud "barking" cough. It sounds like a seal barking. Run the shower on the hottest water you can. Steam up the bathroom and sit in there with her. It should stop after a couple minutes.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My son had it and he had a horrible sound when he was breathing. His doc said it was common for it to be bad at night and then better during the day,. And that it is a virus that get just on the vocal cords and that it lasts only three days.
    He said that it doesn't "need" treatment, but it makes parents feel better is they have it.

He did say that if you LO makes the sound while breathing in AND out, then that is a bad sign, one way is not bad. Also f your little one can not catch their breath, then call 911.

But if she is just uncomfortable take heart it doesn't last for very long. Like Cindy said, take her in the steamy bathroom. My son's doc said to get them in the steam and then go stand with her head near the freezer. The differences in the hot and cold sooth the vocal cords better than anything else.

Good luck... hope she feels better.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 12:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• no but my 6 yr old nephew has been getting it since he was a baby.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• loud unstoppable cough!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My son has had croup 3 times... the classic signs you would listen for are a seal like barky cough and a loud breathing, especially when worked up or upset, called strider.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2010