are you turning into your mom??

Growing up I use to tell my mom that I am going to be nothing like her. Now I have children and sometimes I catch myself saying something my mom would say.

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 4:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes and no. I am head strong like her, hate getting my picture taken, make my children respect their elders and abide by my rules.
    HOWEVER, my kids can talk to me, about anything. If I make a mistake and accuse them of something, I apologize. They have feelings. We have family meetings and family dinners. I take them to the zoo and museums. I let them make messes, as ling as they agree to clean it when they are done.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 6:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• All the time!!! I am honored though.My Mom was always there for me and is so special to me.I would love to become my mother.
    momofsixangels

Answer by momofsixangels at 4:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• sometimes... i am a pretty new mommy so i havent noticed TOO much but somethings i have :)
    im glad, shes a brilliant woman and i would love to be 1/4 of what she is! shes amazing and my best friend i lover her to death!!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• yes.... we seem to have the same man problems... and I have her temper and I'm stubborn like her
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Although I love my mother and she is my best friend, I am not my mother. She was not a great mother. She's much better now than she was when we were growing up. (We were probably really rotten.) That doesn't mean she doesn't dearly love us, it just means that I do things differently than she did. She spanked, slapped, yelled, screamed - all the things I do not do. She had no patience. I have lots. You need patience and understanding when you have kids - especially teens - you have to remember where you were when you were their age. It's hard to grow up.

mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 7:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes and no. My mom was fairly strict, and my siblings and I were very behaved and respectful; the same holds true for me and my kids. Value was placed on schooling and doing good in the world and I try to install that in my children. But while my mom tended to talk/lecture, I choose to lead by example. Also, my mom was always dealing with a lot of emotional baggage and would go through periods of severe depression and couldn't always be the mom we needed her to be. I know she loved us and our basic needs were met but she was pretty much emotionally checked out. I make a conscious effort to always be in the moment when it comes to my kids and to really listen to them. I love my mom for who she is but in a way, she has served as a "what not to do" for me as far as raising kids.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes in some ways and no in others.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 8:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No no and umm....NO! There is no way I will ever be like my mother. I'm not abusive.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No. Our parenting styles are completely different.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Worse!!! I catch myself acting like my step mother. She didn't like me. I hate that I have to constantly watch myself so i don't say or do anything she would. She raised me so I do give her that much credit but she did do a lot of harm also. I won't even get started on that subject.
    Blueloveaura

Answer by Blueloveaura at 11:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2010