attitudes

My 11 year old dd has such an attitude . She drives me crazy! She talks back and is always rolling her eyes.How do I break her of this?I realize she will be a teen soon but I want my sweet little girl back!

momofsixangels

Asked by momofsixangels at 4:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• take away privleges everytime she does 1 of those things?

proudmomma1986

Answer by proudmomma1986 at 6:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Your sweet little girl is gone; you now have an adolescent. Soon, you will have a teen, and then a young woman.

You need to choose your battles; I ignore the eyerolling (or roll my eyes back), because it is just not that big of a deal. I have a child who responds more to positive reinforcement than punishments, at 14, though, I still give her a timeout for whining or talking back.

I am not sure what else to tell you. There is not a magic tool here. The bigger the child, the bigger the problems.

Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Some stuff never changes.......praise for good things and find her "currency", that which she loves and can't be without ,to withhold for punishments. Remind her that you love her always.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You could give her the bill Crosby line.........I made you and I could make another just like you...Let her roll her eyes at that.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I actually just had a talk with my 12 year old niece about this. My sister and her have been arguing alot about her attitude. My niece told me they promised to try and understand each other better, that my sister has to accept the fact that she is growing up and there will be times like this. I told my niece that while it was good they talked it through, she still has to realize that growing up doesn't give her an excuse to be disrespectful towards her mom, me or her grandmother. We get the eye rolling too! I told her that she also has to accept that even though she is growing up, she still has to respect and abide by the rules we set for her. (she spends alot of time with me.) She seemed receptive, maybe hearing it from someone else besides mom helps. Do you have another female that can have a talk with her?

nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Find what she loved the most and take it away! No matter what it is! Tell her if she wants to be treated less like a baby then she needs to not act like that and untell she does your keeping her (whatever you took)!
    mkrhodes84

Answer by mkrhodes84 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My 9 yr old has a MAJOR sassy attitude and it drives me insane. There is always a reason behind their attitudes, however, figuring it out can be a challenge. She is still learning how to identify and process her emotions and it can be frustrating. You may heere "you just dont' understand" but in reality...they don't fully understand to process emotions appropriately. Sit down with her and let her know that "hear" her and that you've been in her position but respect in the home is mandatory. Encourage her o communicate with you. Finally, let he know that if she continues to be disrespectful and

Lily23

Answer by Lily23 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have a 9 year old girl with attitude as well. Sometimes I feel like I will lose my mind with her. I find if I ignore her attitude she gets mad at me then sees that her bad attitude is not getting her anywhere and she lightens up. It is sometimes hard to ignore the attitude but it works. Basically if I ignore her , then she is not getting the reaction she is looking for. My mom gave me this advice and its the only thing I find that works. I take things away and it works only for the short term.
    erikamcc

Answer by erikamcc at 7:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my soon to be teen has been doing this since she was 9. I know the attitude I had at that age so Im screwed. I ignore her! and take things away.
    karaa3

Answer by karaa3 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010