Asked yesterday but would like more ideas. My daughter puts herself in time out.

I got some great responses yesterday but would love some more suggestions. When she is given a direction she says' No- I go to time out' crosses her arms and goes. If I threaten to take toys ways she says 'Okay- you out it in the trash?' I don't want to resort to spanking for every little thing, especially since she is in trouble all day long!! I was considering taking Dora away for the day but that seem like it wouldn't really work at her age (2.5) I just don;t know what to do with this mouthy little thing!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly, then let her go to time out - but YOU say when she gets to come out, and make sure that she knows it. You can say something like "I'm glad you know that when you misbehave (I hate using the words "you're bad" to little ones), then you get in trouble. Yes, you need to go to time out, and you need to stay there until I say you can get out." Also, maybe find a new time out spot that she doesn't like as much. Maybe she's sitting where she can see the tv, or see out the window or something that makes it fun? I'm not saying lock her in a closet or anything like that, but maybe have her face the corner where she can't see or hear the tv, etc.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Hello,

I agree with Sailorwifemom, my son started doing that where he would punish himself so I said thats fine but you are going to sit where I want for as long as I want. Its not as much fun that way! Good Luck I hope you figure something out those attitudes can be really hard to deal with.
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 7:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• then let her go to the time out. like pp said, you say when it is over.
    my son has been opting for time outs over cleaning up a mess he makes.
    last week it took him hours to clean up a pile of cards!
    he finally did it right before bed!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You mention that she is in trouble all day long................ Is she getting praise for when she does things right too? Does she get enough one on one time with you...........reading a book, going to the store, cuddling, etc. Lots of positive reinforcement can really help at this age.......is needed at any age. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Actions speak louder than words. Tell her once and if she says no, then take action with out saying a word. This not only will really throw her for a loop but is much more effective than arguing. By taking action I mean walking her over to her mess and putting it in her hand and walking her to the toy box. If she puts herself in time out then wait till time out is over to help her clean up.
    Blueloveaura

Answer by Blueloveaura at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• She gets plenty of one on one. lol. she is just into everything even the thing she Knows she shouldn't be. She empty's the pantry while I'm taking care of my son, she covers her body in lotion or soap when she goes potty, she takes a side trip into my room to get into my make up on her way to my room at dinner she smears food up and down her arms if I walk in the kitchen to refill plates... She is just a mess! She makes little side trips and takes advantage of 3 min alone to get into trouble. I can't glue her to the floor! Can I?
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2010