Good Idea or Bad Idea...

Background: My DS, almost 6, has High Functioning Autism and can't handle certain things for to long. Like being at a water park with the water splashing and the kids yelling or at the Mall with the echoing or at Wal-Mart. He looses his mind and starts acting up in an attempt to get out of the situation. 90% of his meltdowns are avoidance.

Problem: I have to go Grocery shopping today. Like I HAVE to and not a short trip either. It will be a pretty decent trip. I usually go after they both kids are in bed and DH is home so I don't have to take him but this won't work today.

Idea:To allow DS to play his Gameboy while shopping. Normally any games are reserved for 30 min before bed. I was planning on giving him a 'no count' reward. Where is I didn't get to the number 4 before we got to the car he could have a prize.

Thoughts?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say if you honestly think the video game would help him get thru the store by giving him something to focus on then by all means let him have his video game. Will he wear head phones while playing the game , maybe that would help keep any noises that might bother him blocked out.
    If all else fails have a short list ready.. a list of things that you MUST have just to get you thru till your husband will be home again and buy only those items.
    Michele975

Answer by Michele975 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• hum do you think his ds will keep him distracted while you shop .if not try and shop but get in and out as fast as you can and just wait until another time to get everything else you need to later
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• If you really need food, then i would do it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It might...Video games are one of his obsessions, hence the limitations on them...he ouwld play for hours and then have a cow when he had to turn them off so we had to cut WAY back. lol
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• head phones! awesome Idea thanks!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think if a video game helps him in those stressful situations then I would go ahead and let him do it. It will make life eaiser for the both of you!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• but mommie .... Your Welcome I hope they help him and you make it thru the store!!
    Michele975

Answer by Michele975 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think that in this case if there are no other options available to you then allowing him this one time exception would be okay. I really like the idea of the headphones too. I hope that it works out for you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Look, you've got to do what you've got to do. I think allowing him his game (Headphones GREAT idea) is the better of the two options. You need to take him and distracting him is better than causing him distress. Just explain very clearly that this is a special occasion. If he does fine while your in the store with the game, make sure you tell him how great he did and ask him if the game helps.
    Peregrine

Answer by Peregrine at 9:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'm not in your shoes but I guess if I was I'd let him play the game rather than him getting over stimulated. It works out for you and him.
    Blueloveaura

Answer by Blueloveaura at 10:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2010