Okay, Really?

How would you respond if you child who is 9 looked at you while you were in mid-sentence and said"SHHHH" with his index finger to his mouth??? Uggh....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh man.. I would put them in their room & explain to them that they don't do that to adults.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• was the child being a smart a** or just playing ??? ooo duh hold on you said you were talking and mid sentence they did that yeah i would get pretty annoyed then .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It sounds like they were trying to be polite and trying to get your attention. Its hard to say not knows the whole story, but depending on what was going on, it could be acceptable or unacceptable. I can get going sometimes explaining things or helping them make a correction and they can't get a word in edgewise. It would be better than having them turn and walk away or tell me to shut up or even worse, I really don't like it when they try and talk over me.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• the same way i do when my 5yo does it..i tell him that he's being rude and disrespectful.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would correct them and let them clearly know they do not do that to anyone. Then probaly have a timeout or loose a privilage. My 9yr old is very respectful so it's not usually an issue, she will sometimes pop in and interupt with something else to say (not a shh) and I remind her that she needs to wait her turn to speak...the shhh would get me.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I guess it would depend. If I was scolding my son for something he did and he shushed me, I would tell him Do not shush me when I am speaking to you, and he would have something added onto his punishment. If we were just talking and he did that, I would tell him that is rude and if has something important to tell me, he needs to say excuse me or wait until I am done talking.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'd walk away, and that child's life as he knew it would come to a screeching halt. He or she would get the "bread and water" treatment (no privileges, only the essentials) until he came to me to ask why this was happening. Then and only then, we would talk about how rude and disrespectful it was to shush me in mid-sentence.

I know this sounds harsh, and it is, but disrespect is something I will not tolerate, and this treatment has never lasted more than 24 hours for my kids. Basically, it means they get what they need but they don't get what they want. Nutritious food -- yes. Treat food -- no. Warm bed -- yes. Slumber party -- no. A bath -- yes. Swimming -- no. You get the picture. Remember, you are the parent. You hold the power in the relationship. Don't abuse the power, but also don't be afraid to use the power to make your point to your child.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• probably smack that child!
    karaa3

Answer by karaa3 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010