Are you a bad mother?

Whats the worse thing you have ever done that may make you seem or feel like a bad mother? Do you regret it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• NO. I know I am a good other. I am all my boys have right now. My DH and I are having some pretty major issues in our marriage. Its in Gods hands to see if we make it. But while I can't give my boys (almost 17 mth old twins) everything they want. They have a warm crib to sleep in, food in their tummys, and my loving arms to hold them. Do I feel sorry that I can't give them more? Sure but doesn't every mom.
    Peregrine

Answer by Peregrine at 9:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yelling or just being generally hateful with my son out of frustration. The few times I have done it, just the look on his face, was enough to send me straight to the nearest bathroom, so that I could cry without him seeing, before I came back out to give him a big hug, and tell him that I was sorry, that sometimes grown ups make mistakes too, and could he please forgive me.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Not being able to provide for them. Dh and I had a shitty year(2005). We couldnt keep a job, barely had food. No birthday parties, eater celebrations, Christmas, there was nothing that year. I had never felt that kinda pain. It hurt when they would say they were hungry. I even contemplated giving them up for adoption. Thank God things turned around. They are too young to remember that year, but dh and I have not forgotten about it. It feels like yesterday. We both developed issues from it. I started horading food and dh started over-indulging the boys. We're working on those issues and getting better.

So yeah, when I close my eyes I can see them, hungry and looking at me. That feeling doesnt go away. Yes I feel like a very sh***y mother.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I feel like a bad mother when I don't know how to help my son. He has autism and sometimes I feel so powerless to do anything. My friends tell me that he is lucky to have me, but sometimes I feel like I must be missing something. He can talk, but does have communication issues. He doesn't always know how to explain when he doesn't feel well and if it takes me awhile to figure it out, I feel like a failure because I'm his mother and I should have known. Do I scold him sometimes? yes but I never feel like a bad mother for that. He is a child and need to learn so he needs the scolding. Does he get a swat on the behind sometimes(more like rarely)? yes, but I don't feel like a bad mother because when the moment is crucial for him to understand he can not do something, words are not always something he understands and his safety is my first priority. But I do feel like a bad mother when he struggles and I can't stop it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• yelling at my ds when i got angry or frustrated. it scared him, by the look in his eyes, and made me feel like a piece of day-old poop.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would say the yelling would have to be the worse thing....I've totally lost it like 2x where i'm a monster....I feel horrible about it....I always appologize, and explain why mommy was angry.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• There have been a couple of days when he's really needy and I'm just really really tired, so I just leave him in his crib so I can just have a little time to myself. He's safe but bored and lonely. Poor kid - he's so playful and loving that I know it's probably hurting his feelings (he doesn't understand why I'm ignoring him). And he's my only kid, so I should be able to give him better care. I feel really bad when I do this, so it's only happened a few times.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• spanking,yes and no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have never felt that way at all, I do my best and give it my all, no regrets.

Answer by older at 9:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My biggest regret is not keeping my kids involved in sports or scouts. Money and lack of trustworthy vehicles have been my biggest issues till now. Things are going much better now so this school year should be busy.
    Blueloveaura

Answer by Blueloveaura at 10:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2010