can you help me keep my job?? UGRENT!!!

My boss has asked me to do something that is totally outside my normal responsibility's and i don't mind doing it but, I am worried because she has asked me to do something that i am really bad at. I work for a bank (as a teller) and she has asked me to help her out by taking over a customer that she has been dealing with who has fraud on their account. I can handle most everything that she asks me to do but writ ting a Professional letter to a this customers landlord so that they will accept a late rent payment and not charge a fee worries me because i need it to sound Professional. I don't know what to do. I am so worried about this task and she needs it done by noon. I am so afraid this is going to make me look bad and I need this job!....What would you say in the letter?? Or if you were the customer or the landlord what would you want it to say? I am sooo bad at writting letters!!! HELP!!!!!

amyj111

Asked by amyj111 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Wow. Why are you writing it? the customers lawyer should be writting it.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You can get template from word or any other office program so you get the layout correct. I think a short and to the point letter works best in this situation, always include your (or whoever @ the bank is handling the situation) contact information so the landlord can call if needed.
    Just explain the situation without giving tons of detail.
    Sorry I can't write the letter for you. :)
    It'll be ok. Just write a rough draft and go back over it and fine tune it. Maybe have a friend or co-worker review it before it's sent if you are really uncomfortable.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No the bank needs to write it because it was a BANK error. We allowed the transaction to go through even though it was supposed to be blocked (someone didn't do it right) so the customer lost $700 Her rent is due by the 4th and the bank isn't going to be able to credit the funds back until the 8th. This is a normal thing that BANKERS do (not TELLERS lol) most people don't have lawyers when it is small fraud like this.
    amyj111

Comment by amyj111 (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Oh, and I would like to add that I dont think its the banks place to be writing such a letter. If it's at the customers request I would direct them to show the landlord the paperwork the bank has given.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• look you wrote the letter already...just clean it up, sign it and you're all set :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The customer needs to report that to the bureau if you have not already.

Be honest with your boss, that you are not comfortable with that. It may get the customer in bigger trouble and in court.

for the future maybe refer them to http://www.Plans4Me.info
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Start off with a To whom it may concern than in the body explain what that due to error with the bank and no fault of the customer that things in her account got messed up (word it a bit better than that though) and ask that they please do not hold her at fault for this mistake. Sign it Sincerely, leave 4 lines to sign it in than your name (or your supervisor if she is signing) and the title of the person under that. Also use the bank letter head at the top.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Its really not that big of a deal...A company pullled some money out of this customers account that she didn't authorize so the customer filled a REG E claim over the phone and the bank is going to refund the money by July 8th. I just keep wrtting the letter and it doesn't seem to sound right!
    amyj111

Comment by amyj111 (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Well they should have them.

And what about confidentiality? They dont have that at the bank? You can not seriously write a real specific letter can you?

I dont think its the banks place either, just write a note about there being A bank error. not the whole situation.

Like isaid before the lanlord may pursue, your letter will help in court and if she chooses counsel andhelp from one of our lawyers.

Good luck.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• All banks have a legal dept and they have an accounting dept. I've gotten similar letters written by both depts not a teller. Just tell her you are not good at writing letters and to give you a copy of one she's had written for her before.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010