How to get your kids to sleep in their own bed

I have a 2 year old daughter that likes to sleep with us how to we start having her sleep in HER bed and not ours

Thenewhope

Asked by Thenewhope at 9:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes it's hard.. I didn't get my girls to sleep in their own beds until they were 5 and 2 1/2.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have been wondering the same thing. All my kids use to sleep in there bed every night. But the past few months I always find one sleeping on the couch. I'll give you a bump!
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Bribery worded for us...if they make it one night they get a prize, then 2 nights, and so on
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I let me son know it was coming. I said every night "next week, you are going to start to sleep in your own bed" I made it sound fun. Then, when that day came, I said. "Ok, now, tonight you are going to sleep in your own bed." I said good night and left the room. He came out in a little bit and I put him back. He started crying and ignored it. He came out again and I again put him back. He feel asleep. He woke up in the middle of the night and climbed in bed with me. I took him back to his room. He cried and I ignored it. I spoke to him gently, telling him it was time for him to sleep in his own bed. Every time he cried, I did not give in, when he came to my bed, I took him back. Over the next few days, the crying and climbing in bed with me, lessened. It took less than a week. But I stayed firm, and I didn't yell.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That should say, I let my son know it was coming. LOL!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It' took like 6 months for our dd to get the hint....but we just kept putting her to bed, explaining she has a big girl bed, and this is mommy and daddies bed! It was like having a newborn all over again! VERY TIRING! There were those nights where you wish you were dead and she'd come in 5-10 times, literally....and we'd cave because we were so tired, but don't let it discourage you...and keep up the fight!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I wish I could tell you. My 5 year old DD has been sleeping with us for a year. Some nights she will sleep on the bunk bed with her sister but she will come in our room in the middle of the night.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 9:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• When we got my son his toddler bed, we put up a sleep chart on his wall so that if he went right in his bed and stayed there for sleeping he would get a little treat or prize at 5 stars. Worked like a charm - he's 5 and in a normal bed and still never gets out of it!
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2010