what you do or say if your 18 yr old child had been dating someone for about a yr ,but you never got to meet the date until child announced engagement and it turns out date is 32 yrs older than your child

Windwalker2002

Asked by Windwalker2002 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would be mad and concerned but prob not much you can do.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• There is not much you can do about it. I think the best thing you can do is be there for you child and let him/her know your concerns (without being rude) and that you are there for them no matter what.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Congrats and good luck. At that point there's nothing you can do.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 9:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would be upset. Someone that older has no business dating someone much younger.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 9:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• legally, there isn't anything you can do. i'd have to know why i'd never met the date, if they'd dated that long..i don't see that happening, as anyone my child dates I WILL HAVE MET in the early stages, if i know its going past a month. i'm not saying i have to be friends with her, or have her over for dinner once a week, but i will know this person my son decides to date, exclusively. you have to be involved! i don't care how old the child is, he's still my child, and i will teach/expect him to respect us enough to allow us the opportunity to be able to acknowledge this person as his SO.
    but then again, he's only 5yo..and i remember dating several guys my parents NEVER met. however, i was just dating, and knew when it was serious enough to want to introduce the parties. most weren't, though. lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'd be talking to the person myself and seeing what's up! I'd make sure there is no spouse attached, too.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• the age difference? oh yeah, i'd be pissed, at the older woman. that much age difference, either way, is ridiculous.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Wow! I guess he/she didn't want you to know about the age difference,,, I would say that 18 is too young to be getting married,, and perhaps waiting wouldn't hurt? IDK what else to tell you sorry mamma :(
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would find some way to tell him my concerns without getting angry or too upset. But, I wouldn't talk bad about the woman, because, if they do end up getting married anyway, he's probably going to resent you for anything bad you say about her.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Honestly, it would never get to that point in the first place. I can't imagine knowing so little about my daughter's life at 18 that I had no clue she'd been dating a 50 yr old man for a year.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010