Do you use music to help the baby sleep? Any tips on what works?

Do you use music to help your baby fall asleep? How do you use it? Do you keep it playing the whole time or only for a short period? During naps and at night? What music do you play? Any other tips that you think might be useful for someone to know?

My 11 month old son is starting to have a lot of trouble settling down for naps (he's just way too interested in getting up to play!) so I'm thinking about using music to help set more of a calming "sleep-time" atmosphere. Right now, before each nap we read n the livingroom (to start the calming), and then move into his room, close a curtain, turn on a fan (white noise), read a special bed-time book while I gently bounce him (he's soothed by bouncing), and then I put him in his crib while going "shhhh" and rubbing his back. The night routine is similar but starts with PJ's and toothbrushing. This used to work, but not so much anymore. :) I need stronger ammo. Any ideas?

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 9:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 13 now but when she was an infant I always had a small clock radio in her room tuned to public radio (very low volume where you had to be almost silent to hear it). NPR not only plays a lot of classical but even their talk radio personalities have very soothing voices. It always helped her sleep. The bonus was that when I was in the car with her and she was crabby I could always turn it on and she'd be out within a few minutes. She was like a little Pavlov's dog! LOL
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:46 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't play much music (only what is on the projection mobile) but I do have a sound machine going all night long. It has a gentle rain shower or the sound of the ocean. My twins are almost 17months old and we even had our sound machine in the hospital when they were born. It soothes them.
    Peregrine

Answer by Peregrine at 9:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Nicholette Larsons Sleep Baby Sleep CD is our absolute fav! We give it as a gift everytime we are invited to a baby shower! My kids fall asleep to it every night. It is lullabys writen by famous musician to their own children. Neil Young, Graham Nash, The Greatful Dead and more. It is beautifully arranged and so relaxing. You can't find it in stores anymore, but Amazon and Ebay have it. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I've been using music since he was 5 months an received a personalized bedtime cd. I also have a cd of classical music. I put it on when i put him to bed at night. works wonders and i've heard that classical music is good for babies brains.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i started my twins with classical music to fall asleep to around 12 months. if you get one marketed for babies, it will be more lullaby "ish"
    i just press play and close the door!
    now they are 2 and listen to anything they like, a story cd, children's songs, whatever!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Baby-Go-To-Sleep tape. It has lullabies played and sung slowly to the rhythm of the heartbeat played in the background. It works so well, I would not suggest ever playing it in the car while driving. LOL

http://www.babygotosleep.com/

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't subscribe to the philosophy of making babies sleep. Nature is smarter than that. Not every baby that age naps or naps the same time or same amount. If my baby is tired she sleeps, if not I leave her alone. Always have. Ever tried to sleep when you weren't tired? I don't bend over backwards or develop elaborrate routines. If I want to do chores, i wear her and she may or may tot nap, If we go out she may nap in the carseat or sling, she may nap while nursing. I don't want to create an elaborate ritual or routine because life is more spontaneous than that and I don't want to be prevented from leaving the house because naptime is promptly at 2 or needs a special tape.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• We play meditation music for DD at night. She naps on us/ in her sling, so "noise" isn't a factor at nap time. We co-sleep and the night time music is just as much for me and dad as it is for her. We have a collection of chants, string music, etc on the iPod. More than the music, being near mom and dad helps her relax. If it's just nap time that's giving you problems, try a carrier your LO can sleep in. My baby is asleep on me right now.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I used to play "brahm's lullaby" by Jewel (look it up on youtube) and it put my DD out in no time.:)
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 4:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• DS falls asleep to a CD every night. When the cd is over it's over and he's already asleep.
    2 of our favorites are "Adagios- A collection of slow movements by Bach"
    and this free CD we got from Graco called "SweetPeace"
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2010