Health overhaul may mean longer ER waits, crowding. Is this our new and improved health care?

CHICAGO – Emergency rooms, the only choice for patients who can't find care elsewhere, may grow even more crowded with longer wait times under the nation's new health law.

That might come as a surprise to those who thought getting 32 million more people covered by health insurance would ease ER crowding. It would seem these patients would be able to get routine health care by visiting a doctor's office, as most of the insured do.

But it's not that simple. Consider:

_There's already a shortage of front-line family physicians in some places and experts think that will get worse.

_People without insurance aren't the ones filling up the nation's emergency rooms. Far from it. The uninsured are no more likely to use ERs than people with private insurance, perhaps because they're wary of huge bills.

More of article and link below:

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 9:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Didn't take rocket science to figure that one out. Well not for some of us any way.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Well, gee, I sure didn' see that one coming.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Why are most people deaf when it came to this? We were told about the wait times in Canada. But no it can't possibly happen in the states. (roll eyes)
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• A few week ago I was taken to the ER via Ambulance. I had fallen, nearly passed out, etc. I know the reason I was taken to the ER via ambulance was minor, compare to others, but the people I was with made the call. I got the the ER (via ambulance) and was put in the lobby to wait for 2 hours. I have insurance, the hospital had my records, etc. There was a lady that had similar symptoms as mine sitting in the lobby as well. I learned that she had been there for 4 hours already by the time I arrived. (The lobby was nearly empty there was only 4 patients including myself). After those 2 hours I was seen and treated. My wounds were cleaned, and they ran some testing. After some time I was sent home. As I was leaving that lady, the one that had already waited 6 plus hours by the time I was seen was still waiting. In some areas it's already messed up...and I think it will get worst!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• If waiting time gets any longer we're going to have to say the ER is our residence!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• last yr i sat in the ER with severe pain in my shoulder and neck,because a ambulance had come in, the pain kept getting worse, i told staff 4 times, finally when a horrible feeling came over my neck,they take me in back ,decide to do a chest xray, find i had a partially collaspsed lung on the right side, they do a ct scan, find i had a ruptured vertebra artery on the right side.when it ruptured, it had poured blood in chest cavity causing lung to collapse, i believe when that feeling came over my neck, is when the aneurysm ruptured. i guess the ER only had 1 dr. i was rushed to another hospital about 45 minutes away.
    its scary when you see the news of people actually dying in the waiting room waiting for treatment.,
    Windwalker2002

Answer by Windwalker2002 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• LOL I bumped your question. This is obvious. I can't see how others don't get it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Doesn't take a rock scientist to figure out this is.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I guess an easy solution would be to develop a system of care that gives everyone access to adequate care. Instead we got half-hearted health insurance reform.

Too bad no one had the balls to actually solve the problem, and too bad so many people would rather just ignore it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Are people shocked by this? All anyone had to do was ASK someone from a country that has socialized health care. Seriously. This is the logical result.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010