potty training, this is getting ridiculous

My daughter is getting so ridiculous. She's needed to be potty trained for months but she just won't do it. (she's 2 1/2) Half of the time she will tell me immediately when she is wet, or just take her diaper off. Other times she'll ignore it until I notice. She throws massive tantrums over what character is on her diaper. What ever brand I get she will pick one design she likes best and once it's gone she freaks out at almost every diaper change. I tell her if she uses the potty she can have underwear with whatever character she likes. But she doesn't care. She loves to sit on the potty, sometimes for 2 seconds, sometimes for 20 minutes, but she won't go on it. If I put her straight in underwear she treats them just like diapers. Stands there, goes in them, then either takes them off right there and walks away, or leaves them on and ignores the mess. I almost puked one time pulling off underwear with poop smashed all over it.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I ran out of room but there isn't much else to say. She doesn't care about candy, stickers, anything. I don't get it. I put my son in underwear and had him trained in about a week when he was almost 3. So she is younger, but he never cared what underwear he had, and he never took his diapers off. She's driving me crazy.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I meant diaper not underwear
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• what i did with all my kids is at home stuck them in panties they got tired pf pissing themselves and started going potty on there own and also pullups are a joke lol
    x_Starr_x

Answer by x_Starr_x at 9:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'm curious as to how her temper is for other things? Some children are more head strong than others. Is this her type of personality?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I just found it easier to just put them in panties and let them pee all over.. It was a mess, but as long as you clean up right away everything was okay! They just started going potty .
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I, too, put my son in underwear, but I also put the rubber pants over top of it, so while he felt the wetness, but it contained the mess somewhat. But I have some other ideas that depend on the temper response.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• maybe she isn't ready yet?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Wouldn't it help you and her if you waited a little longer? Each child is really ready at different times and you deserve to be less stressed about it. I had a friend who let her kids run around naked when they were really ready and the mess on their legs was so uncomfortable that it only took a couple of days. I don't have the temperment for that!! It's just one idea. Best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No great advice for speeding up potty training, but I can help with the diaper thing. If you buy the Target store brand diapers they all look exactly the same - dots, no characters!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i worked in a daycare in the 2 year old room for quite some time and i learned that sometimes they are just not ready! maybe put all potty/pull up away for a month or so (thats a LONG time to a 2 year old) then bring out the potty gradually . put her back in diapers and if she cries about it just say "pull-ups are for BIG kids who go pee-pee/poo on the potty," leave it at that and remember keep all things toilet trained away then in a month get a doll/stuffed animal with a potty and potty book wrap it up ,decorate the bathroom and throw her a toilet party ,tell her how she is getting to be sooo big now and even though she will ALWAYS be your baby ,this is something new and exciting she can learn let her sit on the potty and read her her book or let her look at it herself, sit with her or sit outside the door whatever she wants(as long as she is safe) remember you can not FORCE potty training it has to happen naturally :)
    srqmommy

Answer by srqmommy at 10:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2010