What is the best way to "deal" with a soiled cloth diaper?

I am new to cloth diapering and my baby pooped in his very first cloth diaper (BG 3.0 pocket) i took out the insert,put it in the pail, held the diaper and dunked while i flushed and i was left with a soggy nasty mess and dripping diaper. GROSS! I do not have a mini shower to spray the diapers with and he is exclusively breast fed but the poo still pools up...i cant leave that in the pail for all day can i? i really want to make this cloth diaper thing work please help!

srqmommy

Asked by srqmommy at 9:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The most economcal and easiest to launder are flats or prefolds (flats need to be folded and dry faster), w/ pins or snappis, + thirsties covers (i like duo wraps). I like mine unbleached. They are my easiest laundry, they only start to smell if yo go 3 or more days between washes. I use a rubbermaid trash bin with a washable diaper liner; no issues with odor. I don't dunk my diapers, though I scrape the poo off after we started solids into the toilet, sometimes it just falls off (you are SUPPOSED to do the same for disposables...people don't realize that. Poo in trash is gross. You should also bring your disposable dirties home to dispose). Breastmilk poo needs no scraping, it washes right out. Cloth is sanitary; all waste to sewage.

We do elimination communication too so we don't have a lot of poops in diapers. We've been 100% accident free for 5 days and my baby is 9 months old. We have had dry nights since 3 months.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i hope you get answers soon!
    i only cloth diapered my newborn for a month or two, my dryer was broken, so it didn't suit us at the time :(
    since mine was so young, and ebf, i just put them in the washer!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Some answer here and lots of questions about cloth diapers here.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have always been interested in cloth diapering - however somewhat afraid - I have no clue what to do.....
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 10:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes bfed poo can sit in the dry pail. You don't have to dunk. It comes out in the wash. I use prefolds. Even after solid I never dunk, I scrape it off into the toilet with a piece of toilet paper (some use a spatula -- you are supposed to do the same for disposables--no poo in trash!). Spraying is an option not a necessity.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I do what amileegirl does. When my daughter was EBF, the poopy diapers went in the pail as is. Now that she's on solids, I use toilet paper to scrape out the diaper as best as I can and then put it in the pail. I wash every other day. I use a Simple Human lidded trash can as my diaper pail and as long as the lid is on tightly, the smells stay in the pail. You can put your diapers out in the sun for an hour or so to get the stains out, but I figure why bother? They are just going to get pooed and peed on again, anyway.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• When do you put them in the sun? after washing? can you do that with the microfiber inserts for BG? and can i was my unbleached indian prefolds, birdseye flats, and BG and inserts, covers and flannel wipes all together? or do i seperate by fabric??? i have read so many conflicting things!
    srqmommy

Comment by srqmommy (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• BTW thank you everyone for the helpful info! esp. christina and amilee girl :)
    srqmommy

Comment by srqmommy (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't have experience with mirofiber but I don't see why not. prefolds, flats, and wipes together is fine; i don't see why you can't launder bgs with them.. Covers like thirsties are fine, just don't put vinegar in the rinse with things that have elastic. If your covers are fluffy you may or may not get fuzz on your prefolds or flats, though you may not mind. If you covers are wool, handwash.

If you flannel wipes are colored they may bleed if new, so use best judgement.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2010