family reunion

Ok so the 10th is the family reunion for one side of my dh's family, his dad wants us to go. I do not know anyone on that side of the family and dh doesn't really either, FIL just wants to show off his grand babies, it would be a 3 hour trip up and back and we would be outside the entire time. I feel a little uncomfortable going but will if dh wants to. Would you go?

BusyBeesmom

Asked by BusyBeesmom at 10:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Does your DH want to? If not then we would not go.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 10:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• sure, why not? go this time, and maybe skip the next year. i hate going to my dh's because of the same reason (except its alot closer, even convenient!)..i don't know his family, and his immediate family isn't around except for xmas, even though we live in the same town (until june, that is). we go every other year or so, not every year.
    good luck..and bring a pan of banana pudding!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It is an expense you have to budget for because once your out your home money flies like crazy. Where would you really want that money spend for?
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Isn't that the point of family reunions? To get together with family you don't get to see often.  I would go if it was feasible for us.

My mom's family used to have a reunion every August.  It was the highlight of the summer for me and it was a 4 hour drive and we had to leave the day after because we started school 2 days later.  It was an almost 40 year tradition that ended a couple years ago because none of my cousins wants to take over as host.  I miss going up there to see everyone every year.  Last time was in 07.  It's the only time we could really justify the cost of going so it was the only time I saw the family and got to show off the kids.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would seriously consider it especially if you children are old enough to remember it. Some of my children's favorite memories are family reunion camping trips and picnics. If it doesn't go well this time, you don't need to go back but you could have a lot more fun than you expect.. If your dh has bad experiences he doesn't want to relive because of family members though it might be better to pass it up. On the other hand if he just doesn't know them what a perfect opportunity to learn and share.
    idahocshell

Answer by idahocshell at 10:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2010