Do you know what is an appropriate reason to call 911?

Do you teach your kids?

I waited on a 911 operator last night. I said offhandedly that she must have some stories. She told me that nowadays (yes, I am old enough to say that, I remember when they invented 911.) No one knows what it's used for.

That people call her and ask for directions and to be transferred to the courthouse.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• ...well, I don't know about anyone else, but I always call 911 when the drive thru at Taco Bell puts sour cream on my burrito after I tell them not to.........jk...but people do call 911 about drive thru's.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I called once when my son was choking and I could not disloge the candy he was choking on.
    I called 311 when my car was broken into in an unfamiliar city.
    People just don't use good judgement when deciding what an emergency is.
    A lot of people don't even know about 311
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Uh duh, emergencies only. There is a non-emergency number for other calls.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes, ma'am. I know when to call 911, and so does my son.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes and Yes. I have had to call 911 three times. One was for reporting domestic violence (at the neighbor's request), another was for reporting domestic violence and a violation of a TPO that I witnessed and the third was when I went to the Sheriff's Office to report my wallet was stolen, the central office told me to go to the payphone, dial 911 and tell them that I needed an officer. I never understood that one, because the Central control could have dispatched that themselves.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Where I live you cant call the police directly. So when we were reporting someone stealing credit card numbers they told us to call 911 to have an officer come out...They said not to come in....it was STUPID

and Animal control AFTER hours, they told me to call 911 for a kitten we found outside at night in the winter....seriously 911!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• that's nuts.

I would never call 911 for anything less then life threatening.

We have 311 here for non-emergency police stuff.  I've had to call them before to complain about noisy neighbors and stuff.

The only time I remember having to call 911 was when I was a kid (my mom actually called) because a neighbor boy accidentally put his arm through a glass door and was bleeding all over and going into shock (he was like 10).  And a few years ago we were driving down a busy street and traffic was all backed up because a pedestrian had been hit by a car and was lying in the middle of the street.  People were trying to direct mid-day traffic around him (3 lanes of traffic being diverted into oncoming lanes no less) and there was no ambulance coming even though the closest firehouse was just blocks away.  I'm sure they got a lot of calls on that.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I heard a story on The Tonight Show about a woman called 911 on Thanks Giving to ask how to cook a turkey.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I know when to call 911. I can't believe the stupid reasons people call 911 for. That and the stupid reason people go to the ER for, omg!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes, I know about 911.

Once in my old neighborhood, someone passed out a flyer saying that if you saw someone taking your recycling you should call 911. I don't know who passed it out, but they signed it the police dept. We lived on the edge of a poor neighborhood and people would come out on recycling day and pick up the aluminum cans to turn in for money. Hell, I helped the lady when she came, she was obviously poor and had little income, if she wanted to drag aluminum cans to the recycling center no skin off my nose.

Well, my upstairs neighbor saw the lady and called 911. The police showed up an hour later, mystified. By this time my neighbor had left for work. They were like, well, is your neighbor normal? I mean why would she call 911 because someone was stealing her recycling? Lord knows. I told them that someone had passed out the flyer. They seemed pretty pissed, I'm sure they had better things to do.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010