Can your 4yo do up buttons?

My 4yo daughter put on a blouse yesterday and was showing me how all the buttons on it were different but it was missing one and wanted me to fix it.

Then she says, "I can button it myself," and did all the buttons. She cracks me up but none of my other kids could do buttons this young. She started with these big quarter size buttons on a sweater when she was 2 1/2.

Sometimes I forget she is just 4. She can do so much that my other kids didn't do until they were 5 or 6 and has been doing much of that since she was 3 (she was coloring in the lines at 2 1/2 which shocked my son's 1st grade teacher--she said half the class of 6 and 7 year olds couldn't color in the lines, lol).

Just wondering if anyone else's kids are doing this stuff early?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 10:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yeah, and I was amazed too! She talked, buttoned, fed herself, wrote, did basic math, all before she was "supposed to". She was a super late walker though!
    Her big problem with the buttons though, she would talk and talk the whole time, not paying attention so they would get all crooked and she'd get sooo mad, then start over, but start talking again and not paying attention. It would take her half an hour to button her jammie shirt. Now, she just says "don't talk for a minute, I gotta button" and a few seconds later, it's all "tada! Who's you're big girl?"
    Too cute!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That is hilarious.

Mine was asking me where the hole was for the very top button because she couldn't see it and I had to explain you really weren't supposed to button the top one, it was more for decoration and to start with the 1st hole she saw (there was a hole for the top button but was hidden under the edge of the collar).  She was like, "oooooh," and then started buttoning the rest.

We're still working on zippers, though.  She just doesn't get those yet that's why she preferred the one sweater she had with the big buttons.  She could do that one herself.  She's also been putting her own shoes on since she was like 18 months.  Can't tie, though (no shoes with laces).  She can do anything else that has to do with dressing including tights (something my 7yo still has issues with sometimes, lol).

justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2010