Do you eat before or after you go for a run/workout?

I figure it is healthier to eat and then go for a walk or a run, because if you have nothing in your system you will pass out or break down!
But, Dh argues that you will get sick if you eat first!?
Which is the truth and which is better?

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 10:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• To get the MOST from your work out you want to eat light before you go and work out. You want to have your body energized though so have something healthy a hour or so before. An apple, pear , sweet potato etc...then after your work out eat protein! That helps to rebuild and repair your muscles. So a healthy dinner afterwards would be...A nice piece of salmon, or grilled chicken breast with broccoli and a salad.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I eat a few hours before...then have a light snack after, sometimes just a small glass of milk or a piece of fruit.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• it can be different for all people. i prefer to work out on an empty stomach if i work out first thing in the morning. i prefer to neo eat two hours before a workout, i do find a full tummy uncomfortable!
    i have enough fat stores to not pass out from a workout on an empty stomach!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I cannot make it through a strenuous workout on an empty stomach. I get lightheaded and shaky in my legs if I'm hungry, and I will literally have to stop and eat something, which is annoying. I usually eat a small meal 30-45 minutes before I start warming up for exercise. I typically exercise midmorning, so I'll have a breakfasty snack a little while before, like some fruit and an english muffin, or some yogurt and wheat crackers.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I eat at least an hour before I workout, or eat something very very light.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 5:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I always make sure something light is in my system, like someone mentioned a piece of fruit or the like.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010