I have trouble with this, Your thoughts?

After hearing some of the speeches that our government officials have made in the past couple of weeks I am reminded of something once again that bothers me. Personally, these things are soooo far out and ridiculous I have problems believing I am hearing them.
The differences in Liberals and Conservatives are huge. Have you ever really wondered why these people are so different? Is it soley environment, genetics or just chance. I say it has to be something in the brain, maybe a chemical imbalance or something?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is just as different as being a pessimist or an optimist. If you stop and think about it, many liberals are pessimist. They operate from a "half empty" point of view. Everything is bad and everything must be changed. They view the government as perpetually broken and exist to provide for us. Many conservatives are more optimistic. They work from the "half full" point of view. There are things that are good and work while some things need to be revisited and worked on. The governmental system we have is great and we need to put people in place that will run it as intended. We are self-sufficient and the government will administer the laws and provided of our defense.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I know.....my brain has been unbalanced since I graduated from college. Its not safe to live near me. I am a Liberal Democrat. I might want to help you out, like take your mail in when you are on vacation or bake a dish of lasagne for you after you have had a baby and need some help at home. Scary,huh? ;-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Issues for our country have a lot of gray areas. Most politicians want to be black or white. My way or the highway! I don't think that works. Compromise and communication are greatly lacking...hence the mess we are.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• What was that old saying? "If you're 20 and not a liberal you have no heart. If you're 40 and still liberal you have no brain"

As a child of the 60's I think I saw politics at it's worse, well at least up until that point. I think it is normal for us to change our stance on political views as we age, learn more, have more life experiences, etc. My son is a 26 year old law and PhD candidate at the U of Chicago..............naturally the world of academia is very liberal..............however he is very bright and I think with time will understand that until the PEOPLE can work together we will never be a true Democracy. He was pretty difficult to deal with during the previous election...............he has come a long way since then.
    MissMyDad

Answer by MissMyDad at 11:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Grace- "they" arent deleting much right now at all. Its in the group.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• http://psychoanalystsopposewar.org/blog/2007/09/10/study-finds-liberal-conservative-difference-in-brain-functioning/

The Los Angeles Times reports on a new study finding differences in brain function between liberals and conservatives. Using a classic experimental paradigm, they found that liberals were more open to new information, whereas conservatives were more likely to block potentially distracting information:

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I am a Liberal Democrat. I might want to help you out, like take your mail in when you are on vacation or bake a dish of lasagne for you after you have had a baby and need some help at home. Scary,huh? ;-)

I am conservative as well and do the same things. I think you are a bit confused gertie.

Liberals use emotion without common sense.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Hmm...that's interesting. I'm conservative, but I'm always open to new information. I consider it, research it, evaluate it, then decide whether it's valid or not.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think it depends on what you're talking about - I think it's a combo of things.

For one thing - I think what you think about something, and what you think is right, often stems from where you're coming from in life / views exposed to. Like, if you were traveling from the West and I was traveling from the East, and we knew someone who wanted to go North, I would say turn right, and you would say turn left...

Now, add that thought process to this - I think that our politics have so devolved that the majority of them have to be pretty narcissistic with a deeply rooted sense of their own infallibility for them to have survived in politics as long as they have.

So, what you have are ego maniacs who are so embedded with their own sense of importance and correctness of their thoughts that they truly can't comprehend how anyone else might have a different view - and that anyone who does "doesn't count".

Creating our mess.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• why would they delete the question?

I think circumstances and enviroment growing up, or finding yourself has alot to do with it heres why:

Sometimes people have very liberal parents which sometimes pushes the child to be conservative or somewhere in between,
    and
    Viceversa
    sometimes parents are radically conservative and with not the proper training on those beliefs can lead into overbearing and overprotective parents which then may push a child to be more liberal or somewhere in between.

LIke My family didnt really ever say if they were conservative but now looking back it was kind of in between but see I agree more with the conservative things, partially because of my belief system as well
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 10:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2010