In my state, Michigan, about 87,000 people are going to lose unemployment because congress could not agree to a extension, what do you forsee happening with this being there is not enough jobs,and so many on welfare now ?

Windwalker2002

Asked by Windwalker2002 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know, but we don't have that problem. There are jobs everywhere around here.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 10:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I live in the state of Michigan. To an extent it is a good thing but then again it isnt. I know people who have been living off of unemployment for over a year with no intentions of looking for a job. Abusing the system just like welfare! While there are people who are using it as it is ment for, so many are not! It is truly sad! There are jobs out there, people just need to lower their standards! As for what will happen... only time will tell!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 10:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• People are going to have to move where the jobs are, just as they did during the Great Depression. If my husband lost his job, we would move wherever we needed to in order to ensure the financial health of our family.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Those who aré well educated and have lost well paying jobs aré almost unemployable without connections.Many COs will not pay to orient someten who will likely leave when something else comes. For every 10k made, expect to be out of work X months securing a replacement Job.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I live in Mich as well and know a few people who could be working but didn't like the new job so they quit to go back on UE. There is hiring going on in several places in the Cadillac area. However one sore spot is AAR. They have a lot of gov contracts and are union. The gov told them they have to take a $5.00 pay cut or they will take their contracts elsewhere. Three hundred people may lose their jobs and they only make about 14 an hr. So much for Obama loving the union workers. All smoke and mirrors.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It's tough but it has to stop. We have jobs here in TX to spare. Move to Tx. If you need a job you do what you have to to get it. Facts are many of these people have adjusted to living on Obamas dole and are now waiting for the job to find them. If it doesn't, they think, oh well. (of course not evey one). Michigan needs to get rid of that idiot governor and they really should have figured that out sooner because she has never been good for them. We are out of money and it is not Americans duty to bail out everyone. Thats why we have states. Each state should take care of it's own. Very few thigs should be aken care of by the government who is bankrolled by the citizens of the US. These poor states need to take a look at why they are out of money and FIX it. If it takes dumping your Gov, then do so.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Unless the country can commit to rebuiliding our manufacturing base, we're screwed

Answer by rkoloms at 11:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Well I guess they'll have to deal with it. I know that sounds cold, but it's a fact. Unfortunately, the welfare system is busting at the seams as it is, I can't see how adding more people to welfare will help anything. There are jobs out there, but the problem is that some companies will not even consider unemployed applicants, and a few actually specify that unemployed applicants shouldn't apply. The old theory was that if someone was unemployed, they were probably let go for poor performance, and no one wants to hire those people. Obviously that myth is stupid, especially in this economy, but companies still follow it. That makes it more difficult for all those unemployed workers to get jobs. Idk what is going to happen, but something's gotta give.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Indiana's in the same boat, so is Ohio. Difference being is I don't know any of these people who are staying on u/e while these miraculous jobs come and go and they just don't take them. My nephew worked 12-18 hr days milking cows (you know, one of those jobs "nobody wants" which is why we "need" illegal labor). My SIL has been looking for 8 months. She's taken housecleaning jobs when she can, but nobody wants to pay to have their house cleaned right now. Her husband has been doing odd jobs where he can. Another BIL has been selling the bits and pieces of his business one machine at a time. He hasn't had any employees in a long time. It's easy to say there are jobs out there when you ignore the fact that there are still thousands of people applying for each one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Republicans are more than willing to fork over BILLIONS of OUR TAX MONEY to a CORRUPT foreign government but get stingy with our poorest and most vulernable. Poor, Old and Unemployed.

Why cut millions from unemployment  that will only further hurt our economy when more can't pay their mortgages and other bills and lose their homes and end up homeless and on welfare....WHO creates a welfare state??

Cut THEIR freaking TRAVEL EXPENSES, THEIR FREE HEALTH CARE, THEIR SALARIES..They made the decisions with OUR money that got us here

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2010