Why?

Why do some Christians believe that the freedom of religion clause under the First Amendment only applies to them?

It does NOT say that you can only have freedom of religion if you worship the Christian version of God!!

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 10:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because the majority of them believe their beliefs are the only beliefs that matter or the only ones that deserve that freedom... It's the mentality of "since my beliefs are the right ones, no other beliefs matter and therefore don't count as religions - they are false beliefs, not real religions" it's not a good belief or a good mentality... But I know quite a few that live that way...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• some are under the delusion that since the Founding Fathers were (mostly) Christian that they wrote the Constitution to only mean the Christian version of God and very few go so far as to believe that all the laws only apply to Christians. but since there are written documents w/ numerous congressmen/presidents agreeing we arent a Christian nation (from the late 1700s to early 1800s) and even a letter saying Muslims are more than welcome to worship as they please in America (written in the early 1800s), id say they need to get their facts straight.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I am not actually sure what you are talking about. I just answered a question saying that I respect and understand people of other faiths, lol. Christians are not all terrible like so many people make us out to be! Our entire philosophy is that we should love everyone, even those who hate us, because that is what Jesus would do. We are really nice people and do not dicriminate. <3
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't know. But I wonder about this sometimes.
    katrinad

Answer by katrinad at 10:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Because its how they are taught...be it flat out or just by experiencing the attitudes of family and church members they are around.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The simple answer is arrogance!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Oh I just read that you mentioned the Westboro Baptist Nutjobs....they are the kind of people that claim to be Christian, but nothing in their hearts or minds is Christ-like. They are disgraceful and evil. There are people of all religions and walks of life that claim to be something that they aren't though. I can't answer for them because I my mind can't begin to process a valid reason for their ways.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:02 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies. They are taught that their religion is the only right religion. So they think the other religions are wrong or just mythologies and ergo do not deserve protection. Also most falsely think that the founding fathers were Christian and that America was founded on Christianity when it wasn't.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Well unfortunately, you are correct, some do. What you mention in your question would definitely be a double standard. I can only speak for myself as a christian and not other christians. I like the constitution and use it to my advantage and I would expect others to do the same. I support freedom of speech for all religions as well.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Can you give an example? The Constitution does offer the protection of freedom of religion. People aren't arrested in this country for not being Christian.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2010