DS is headed to his grandparents for a few weeks, any advice?

I just need any basic advice from dealing with separation (he'll be there for 2 weeks, the longest he's been away from us), to what I should pack, keeping DD occupied while he's gone, anything you think might help the trip and visit go smoothly. Thanks!

CaLizzyMom

Asked by CaLizzyMom at 10:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't know his age, but............Have him take some of his favorite things, but not too many. Get him a small notebook so he can write down the things he does (or draw pictures). You can write down the things you do while he is away. I asume he can talk to you daily, if need be, on the phone? Pack a picture of your family if you think it might help.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Try to give his grandparents as many specifics as possible regarding his normal schedule and what he is and is not allowed to do. The more his grandparents follow the rules he is used to the better.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Favorite nighttime book or friend, any favorite games and movies. Give them a list of foods you know he won't eat...and any allergies, send the medicines he may need from bandaids to benadryl, so they are not trying to figure it out. Don't want them to be flustered trying to figure out what and how much to give him. As to DD, you'll be spending more time keeping her busy than usual, so try not to get flustered yourself. Hope he has a great trip!!! I used to love spending weeks during the summer at my grandparents! and HATED shelling those darn peas....
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My son did this last year - 3 weeks! He was 14 though. He ended up having a great time and making some friends there. They will fall into their own little routine. Don't micro-manage. As long as you trust them and know he is in good hands, relax. Send some things from home, but don't be surprised if he doesn't need them at all. Take the time to deep clean his room. That's what I did.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Thanks for the tips! I didn't think about age, he's 8 and his grandparents live on the same block as almost all of his cousins (all boys, all older). We've already talked to the grandparents about the cousins, but I think I'll write down a list of basics that he should remember (like the occasional shower and limiting video games, etc.). I like the room cleaning idea, that would be a good time to tackle that.
    CaLizzyMom

Comment by CaLizzyMom (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2010