13 month old with vomiting and diarrhea

My son turned 1 last month...for his birthday he had a chocolate cake, he never really had much chocolate or milk before then. After the night of his party he had thrown up in his crib, I thought nothing of it since he had pigged out on cake the night before, he spent 2 days puking(only at night in his crib) and having diarrhea. the next weekend he did it again for another 2 days. I started to be a little more concerned and decided i would monitor him. He stopped vomiting but the diarrhea continued for a few more days. When he woke up this morning he had puked again and the diarrhea was back(its probably been close to 3 weeks or so now since the last episode) I asked hubby what he had yesterday and he mentioned some chocolate milk(we buy white milk and add the syrup) I started thinking back to the other episodes and think he may have a chocolate or milk allergy, those seem to be his only 2 symptoms, I am curious for opinions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• very well could be, however I'd get him in to the pedi and see what they say. Is he dehydrated?? My girls both did that when they had strep, could be a coincedence?? Good luck and let us know how he's doing!
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Call the pediatrician!!!! I would've called or brought my kid in after the second time. Little kids can get dehydrated easily so are you giving him Pedialyte?
    actingout

Answer by actingout at 10:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• First and foremost, get an appointment with th epediatrician right away. He may need help from all of the excess fluid loss. Give him Pedilite to help him keep up his body.
    Secondly, he could be lactose intolerant.... but if he wasn't using lactose free formula then it could be an allergy to something else. Try to monitor everything he takes in and when he gets sick until you can see the doctor about it or until you can get a follow up appointment with them. Keep a journal. It could be something else causing the problem if he wasn't on Soy based formula. I am lactose intolerant as well as two of my children were and all of us had to use special formula's (well, when I was born they just gave mothers goats milk - kind of odd, but Im still alive! lol).
    Good luck and I hope the poor little guy gets to feeling better soon! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No fever? If you think it might be chocolate or dairy, cut them both out of his diet, as thoroughly as you can, wait a month or so, then reintroduce one. If he doesn't react to that one, try the other. And if his diarrhea continues or keeps coming up, whether you do the elimination or not, take him to the doctor. It could be something else entirely, or it could be an allergic reaction. DD has a dairy protein allergy, and if she gets dairy like yogurt or cheese (or even cheese crackers sometimes) she will get a rash and have a really upset tummy until it leaves her system, which can take over a week. If he does have an allergy like that you will have to be super carefuly what he eats at home and while out, and you will have to let everyone who might be feeding him know what he can and can't have.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 10:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Could be an allergic reaction but be cautious about retesting because if it is, the reaction could get worse the more times he is exposed. There was probably more chocolate in the cake than in the chocolate milk and more milk in the chocolate milk than in the cake so it sounds like he had a stronger reaction to the cake which would indicate that the chocolate is a more likely the cause of the reaction not the milk. I would discuss this with his doctor and consider having him tested for allergies. It could also be that he is just to young to digest chocolate very well. Some foods are more difficult for young stomachs to handle.
    idahocshell

Answer by idahocshell at 11:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• On the other hand it is possible to have an allergy to the protein in cow's milk. Mother's milk, goat's milk, and soy milk have a different protein that may not cause a reaction. If he is allergic to cow's milk he may out grow it. My niece did as did two of my cousins.
    idahocshell

Answer by idahocshell at 11:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I didnt think that you may have breast fed also. If you did then you have a stronger chance of this being either a food allergy or another type of allergy. If you can think back to the days of breast feeding him and he may have had a loose stool BM after you ate dairy and then fed him, then look closer at lactose intolerance. :)
    And I agree that I wouldn't want to retest my child on items until I could have doctors approval for that. It would make me too nervous and I wouldn't want to chance seeing my baby get sick again.
    Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2010