Another kids cleaning up question

Does anyone else's kids do this when it's time to clean up/do chores?

I tell my 10yo that she needs to clean up her room. Instead she spends an hour organizing her book shelf then whines she's been cleaning all day except she hasn't actually done anything yet. It's really annoying.

Her room will be a mess along with other rooms and I'll tell the kids to get their rooms clean and she will choose to clean up the few things in the living room and then gets mad when I tell her to go clean her room. She always says, "but I just cleaned the living room." Yes, but she still has to clean her room. She wastes more time picking up stuff that can wait than doing the important stuff. She just doesn't get it no matter how I try to explain that organizing can wait until AFTER the toys are actually picked up.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Make a list for her to follow and when she has checked off wht you have on the list then she is good for the going and untill they are checked off she is cleaning it... Good luck'
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 2:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Never tried this myself but I did come up with an idea last night that I was conciddering trying. I was thinking of giving my kids the option of cleaning eachother's rooms. It might work once or twice.
    Blueloveaura

Answer by Blueloveaura at 11:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That might work, I may try that...My oldest DD does that, she'll put one thing back to gether and call it done, DH tells her and she jumps and scurries around to get it done...So annoying. I finally tell them to pick up and start counting...If I've hit 30 and they aren't done..then to the trash it goes...Only happened once...
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• my 3 yr old is obsessed with cleaning...everything but her toys!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I might have to try the list.

We used to have a list for cleaning up the house.  I started it with chores on one side of the room and broke everything down into small steps.  Instead of saying "pick up living room" it was divided into many steps like put shoes in cubbies, hang up coats, take dishes to kitchen, pick up toys, pick up crayons/paper.  And then it moved to the next room following each step.  And I made the list out in a logical order so that sweeping/mopping were last (my 7yo always wants to sweep BEFORE the toys are picked up...doesn't work that way).

The list looked huge but they were all small steps that took a couple minutes each.  It worked for awhile.  Might have to try that with the 10 and 4 year olds for their room.  Of course, the 4yo can't read yet.

justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010