To tip or not to tip?

Ever notice how lately when you check out at certain establishments there's now a tip jar sittin on the counter next to the cash register where there didn't used to be? I cant always put money in those jars but I feel guilty when I see that tip jar and dont tip, because I know these people are workin hard and are probably having a difficult time financially and really need the extra cash. But that's just it, I'm having a difficult time financially too, as is everyone, and with coffee at your local name brand coffee shop being around $4.00 a cup, a fast food meal costing double what it used to, and the price of EVERYTHING else going up, I really don't have the extra cash to tip everyone who wants one.

Who do you think should get a tip and how much would you tip them?

CEOAprilMarie

Asked by CEOAprilMarie at 11:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I rarely put money in the tip jar. I only tip if there is waitress service. If I have to go up and buy my food, like at Dunkin Donuts I never tip. Occasionally at Dairy Queen I put my change in the jar. I know they are college kids saving for next year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't tip random people who just stick up a jar. Too many people are doing that. And they make well above min. wage and still expect extra. The only one's I tip are server's at restaurants. If I had my hair or nails done, or something like that, I'd also tip them. That's about it.
    I usually tip the servers between $5-$10, depending on their attitude, how quick and organized they were, and how friendly they were. The quality of the food doesn't affect it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I tip always even if its a dollar its better than nothing we usually tip 5 dollars and up now if the service was weak we will either not tip or give less than 5...
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 11:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i don't put tips in tip jars...i tip servers, hair dressers, pizza, anyone who provides a direct service to me and are usually working for themselves and are getting paid less than min wage. Those employees are probably getting min wage or more and they probably see nothing out of that tip jar.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I put a tip when someone makes my sandwich at Subway's especially when we go there frequently.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i would also like to add that those place are likely a money hungry franchise who just do it because they are "money hungry"..they just know that someone will tip.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't put tips in tip jars. I tip if someone does a service for me. I tip my waitress or waiter. I tip if I get my hair or nails done. I even tip if I go to Sonic, because the carhop walks it to my car for me. If I go into a fast food place, and walk up, place my order, and then carry my food back to my seat, I don't tip.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I rarely carry cash, so no.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I only tip hair dressers, pizza delivery guys and food servers, someone who actually provides me with a service,and who depends on those tips. Someone who walks one foot away from the counter to make me an ice cream cone and who already makes minimum wage or more is not providing me with a service.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• yeah, don't ya love drive-thru tip jars? another reason i rarely hit starbucks/etc.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2010