Any ideas on how to get my kids to go outside more?

I have two active kids, and I’m trying to think of outdoor activities instead of just sticking them in front of the television. I was thinking about buying some birdfeeders for the garden since they enjoy the birds when they see them perched on the windowsills. The ruby throats are migrating now, so I was thinking about getting a few hummingbird feeders and found this one so far:
http://www.birdfeeders.com/store/hummingbird-feeders/120tf. It looks really easy to fill and clean, since it opens at the top.
Does anyone have other ideas on how to encourage outside play?

marythebanks

Asked by marythebanks at 11:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• How old are your kids?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Buy ride on toys, bikes hula hoops, a basketball net, balls, bubbles, sidewalk chalk, a sprinkler. My kids would never stay outside to watch the birds.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• How old are they?
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I recently put up our tent for a day and my daughter had so much fun! In some counties it's illegal so you have to be aware of the law but anyways, she had fun playing outside in it.

Also I buy her chalk, squirt guns, toy golf and she has been planting seeds that I had laying around in drawers that I failed to plant so just fun stuff like that. Oh and BUBBLES! :)
    Affirmation

Answer by Affirmation at 11:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I played outside a lot as a kid and I cannot remember ever watching the birds while I was out there. I rode my bike, played kickball with the neighbor kids, played hide and seek, etc.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• water balloons! Target had 100 for $1.00

Answer by rkoloms at 11:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I limited the time they could watch TV and required outside time. They would act bored at first and then before you know it they have used their imagination and are playing.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I ask them if they want a popsicle and then tell them they have to go outside and play. They start playing and forget about the popsicle for a while. Then when they remember, I finally give it to them and tell them they have to eat it outside, lol. Keeps them outside for quite a while.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I tell my girls they are going outside, like it or not (I don't do this every day, just if they haven't been outside for a while and are getting stir crazy). I make sure they have their jump ropes, bicycles/helmets, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, and scooters handy and they will start playing. This works even better if there are other kids playing outdoors too, so hopefully you have some neighborhood kids in the same age group your kids can play with. I also serve my kids a picnic lunch on the back deck, which they really enjoy. Popsicle bribes are inexpensive and children love them. I save popsicles for outdoor time only.

Just do it--if they're old enough, make sure they have some stuff to play with and shoo them out the door. They're kids, they should be playing outside.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Gardening for sure! A trampoline, slip and slide, sand pit, water balloons...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2010