When did you teach your kids to do laundry?

Or when do you plan to do it?

I remember my mom taught me how when I was about 8 but I only helped out until I was 14 then I took over doing my own laundry (still wonder why my mom let me go that long still doing it for me).

Last fall I taught my older 2 kids to do laundry. They were 7 1/2 and 9. They now do their own laundry every week (for the most part, I still offer to do it every once in awhile if I'm already down there doing other laundry). They are 10 and almost 9 now. My almost 8yo is learning to use the machines now, too (she already knows how to load them just needs to learn how to set and turn them on).

They've been folding and putting away their own clothes since they were 4 or 5.

For the most part they don't mind doing laundry...they hate folding, though (who doesn't, lol).

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I started involving my daughter in gathering laundry, folding and putting away laundry very early (pre-school age). Around 8 or 9 I started having her do towels on her own. At 10 she started doing all her own laundry, and by 11 or 12 I stopped checking up on her. My twins are almost 3, and they help me carry laundry to the laundry room, put things in the washer and dryer, and attempt to fold things (they're getting pretty good at folding washcloths).

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was 8 or 9 I think. About that age I'll start, right now they sort colors and put them in the washing machine. I really should start making them put up after I fold, just easier to do it myself...LOL
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 11:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I started teaching my children how to sort the laundry and fold towels at age 5.

By 7 they folded and put their own laundry away.

By 12 they were on their own.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 11:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My daughter was watching me put laundry detergent in the machine and asked if she could help, so I let her help and also help put the clothes in. After a couple of times she discovered how to separate colors from lights and whites nand so on.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 11:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My mom never did, she thought I would have plenty of time to do it when I had to, I did the same with my kids and they learned when they went away to school.

Answer by older at 11:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I am like you - around 6 they can learn how to use the machines (we have stickers where it should be to start).
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Around 9 they did the folding and around 12 we taught the girls how to do their own laundry. and they've been doing it every since.
    mom1T2Ldh

Answer by mom1T2Ldh at 11:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Mine are still little. But, I plan on getting them to put their clothes up around 5 or so. I want to teach them how to use the washer and dryer about 9 or 10. But, I don't expect them to do their own laundry all the time.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was helping my mom and grandmother since I was little. Probably two, putting the clothes in the dryer from the washer. It was fun, my 2 and 3 year old do the same thing. They help me when they see me doing it, no pressure for them to do so, but they like to help. My five year old takes the clothes out of the dryer and puts it into the living room for me. I think teaching them young will only benefit them in the long run. I still do the laundry, they just help out!
    sprout.martin

Answer by sprout.martin at 11:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I let my 3 and 2 year olds "help"me with laundry. My daughter will fold rags.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2010