Weaning from the bottle

My LO is 10 months old and is drinking from a sippy cup throughout the day. I have been giving her a bottle 3-4 times a day. And only right before she goes down to nap or for the night. I can't remember how I weaned my older child from his bottle...Can anyone give me any tips or ideas? Thanks so much.

LandonsMa0403

Asked by LandonsMa0403 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A straw cup is bettr, a sippy is too close to a bottle and isn't good for long term use.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I just replaced bottles with the nuby cups (they have the soft spouts like bottles) and then when he used those all the time I just added in regular sippy cups
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Since she is already drinking from a sippy cup, she is halfway there! You didn't mention whether or not she was eating baby food. If not, she is certainly old enough to start. Start a regular meal routine and add the baby food to it. Feed her well before nap times and she will not be hungry enough for the bottle - keep her up about 30 minutes after meals to prevent reflux. Keep meal and snack times consistent so that she does not get hungry.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• But do I give her the sippy in place of the bottles? I kind of wanted to get her away from the bottle right before she goes to bed...SHould I just give it to her earlier? Like 30 mins before her nap?
    LandonsMa0403

Comment by LandonsMa0403 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yeah she is eating baby food and has consistant mealtimes.
    LandonsMa0403

Comment by LandonsMa0403 (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I broke my son from the bottle at 8 months old. I went straight from bottles to sippy cups. He did really well, after he was taking the cups really good I just never went back to bottles. Every time he would want a bottle I would give him a straw cup full of formula instead, that way he was thirsty and didn't really care how he got it as long as he got it. So it really wasn't that hard. Just be consistent. After I thought he was good with the bottles, I took every single one out of the house in case a bad time came about I couldn't go back to them for back up. Everything went really well though. I think taking it early is key. The more time they have to get attached to it the harder it is going to be to take it away.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You don't wat to take the bottle away yet. Wait until after the groth spurt at 12/13 months and teething. Babies that age still have a strong need to suck and she may reject anything but the bottle if her teeth hurt. Just offer the straw cup and if she refuses tht is okay, if she takes it good!

Again I would avoid sippys, they are no better than bottles.

Also, stop baby food and go to table food. Much more satisfying and practically free!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I just stopped giving it to my son. Lol. Im mean! He didnt seem to mind at all though. And i agree with the sippy thing. Switch to straws. Sippies are the same sucking motion as bolltes and rot the teeth as well :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Don't give her the sippy in place of the bottles. Only formula in the bottle, only water or milk in the sippy cup. As you gradually cut back on the formula you gradually eliminate the bottle.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Once my kids took the sippy I took it away during the day and gave the formula in a sippy all day (7 1/2 mo for DS and 6 mo for DD). For DS when we started him on table food he took less and less out of his bed time bottle till at about 9 mo he took 1 oz one night and I decided to try it with out and we where good. DD just refused to take a bottle after I gave her the sippy for the first time so I just made sure she got enough through out the day to be covered without the bottle before bed. Both my kids have slept through the night since around 4 months so that wasnt affected and DS uses regular cups now at 2 1/2 and DD is 10 months and uses straws to drink
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 1:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010