What exactly is the point of networking?

People have asked me if I'd like to become friends and for my facebook information. It will say they are into networking. What is this?

Mommy2mj

Asked by Mommy2mj at 11:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Its like getting to know people. Kind of. Most people network for work. Like we have a network of people who do various things for us or bring us more business.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 11:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• In this case, networking is for gaining contacts to reach goals. I don't do it, mostly because people can gain access to your private information and also, because they don't really want to be your friend, they just want to have you on their friends list to gain higher levels in games, etc. I also set my profile so that only certain people can see anything about me. You would be wise to do the same.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Professional networking can be very helpful, especially when looking for a job.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Your network is essentially all of the people that you know. When you are looking for a babysitter, a job, a restaurant recommendation, etc., you reach out to your network.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• networking is like job searching. you talk to person they in turn hook-you-up with someone else. on your facebk you are meeting different peoples, just like you do here at cafemom.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010