Does a person who is an atheist believe in any higher power?

Not necessarily a deity, but for all the atheists, do you believe that there are supernatural beings that are in any control? Just curious. I'm interested to learn about atheists' different points of view.

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do I think it's possible that some form of higher intelligence exists in the Universe, yes. Do I see any evidence for their existence, no. Which leads me to believe that if such a being exists at all, they probably don't know about or even more likely, don't care about, our puny existence on this tiny rock. If they interfere with our lives at all, I think it would be much in the same way we interfere in the lives of ants.

And I might add, that if such a being exists, I believe they came into existence the same way humans did, they evolved over time. Making them no more, or less special than us. Having god-like powers, does not make you a god.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't. But there are spiritual Atheists who do believe in some supernatural things.
    katrinad

Answer by katrinad at 11:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• They CAN, but most do not. Generally when someone does not believe in God but they see the possibility of something greater they are considered to be agnostic. But I have met a few Atheists who believe in a higher spiritual power, just not anything like a god, more like a hands off "universe" type of deal...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No they dont. Thats why I have never understood it. I usually respect and understand people of other faiths but how can you not think that there is anything bigger then just us? It seems saddening.

Is the glass half empty or is it half full?  It's all a matter or perspective.  I find it extremely liberating, I'm not carrying a single burden on my shoulders.  What I find saddening, are people who are to afraid to push their boundaries so they enslave themselves to religion.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No, we don't believe in any higher person/power.

Good for you for wanting to learn more about different religions or lack of religions. Too many people think their way is the only way, it's good to see someone willing to learn about others.
    And, thank you for asking your question respectfully. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No and what seem sad to some is freeing for us. Most of us think the ideas of christianity are sad. So I guess it all is in how you look at it.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Atheism is literally lack of belief in God... I don't think that would rule out other 'supernatural' phenomenon that were not deities. My best friend is an atheist who believes in ghosts/spirits... she just thinks they are naturally occuring phenomena that we do not understand, like lingering energy.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Not they do not. I have a friend that is one.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No. We do not.
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 11:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'm not an atheist but I'm close to it,I am what I consider to be a freelance agnostic...But no atheist do not believe in a higher power. That is what atheism is, lack of religion.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2010