What should I do?

My brother, the idiot, has gotten himself in big trouble. He was stealing money from his former place of employment( he's working someplace else, for now) My mom found out about this on her last day of work, she's retiring, when she went to work and saw it in the paper. I live 550 miles away so she called me to tell me. He's already put my parents through hell with the divorces ( yes that's plural) and drinking and many other things that would take all day to explain. His life is a soap opera. I wouldn't care if it was just him screwing up his own life but I'm so mad that he is putting my parents and my nieces and nephews through this. What's irking me so bad now is that he has yet to acknowledge he has done anything wrong, still hasn't apologized to my parents, and his friends on FB are falling all over the place telling him how they'll be there for him. That's easy for THEM to say! He didn't hurt them, he has hurt my parents

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 11:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• If the two of you aren't close, then your concern shouldn't lie on what to do about him but rather how to help your parents through this difficult situation. He's a grown man, capable of handling his own business and if he doesn't recognize that he's hurting people with his crazy lifestyle, he'll continue to hurt. Until someone takes a stand and let him know that enough is enough, he will continue to be this way...One more thing...he knew the consequences of his actions when he took the money...everyone in his life shouldn't have to suffer because of his careless, reckless lifestyle...its time to cut him loose!
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 11:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would call him up and give him an earful....but that probably won't make a difference since his past history shows that he only cares about himself. Good luck with it!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You can delete him from FB but that won't get him out of your life. However, it would reduce the drama.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would cut off ties with him. I had to do that with my sister. I feel bad for my parents because she screws them over a lot, but they put up with it.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 11:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would 'hide' him on FB so you don't have to see it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• All the people in your family that get involved and hurt by the things he does, allow it to happen to them.And until they detach themselves from the things he does, it will continue to happen.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I totally understand your frustration. If I were you I would minimize contact and comfort your parents. As frustrating as their continual support of your brother may be remember that this is their baby and it is almost impossible for parents to give up on their babies. Just try to be a haven for them and I wish you all the best.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• sorry to hear that...this just happend at my dh's job too. I'm very thankful though. The guy was caught stealing from a former job over 100,000 dollars..they came in and arrested him and his wife too. Now my dh is the manager..YAY!!

I know you want to tell him off but its really none of your concern. if your parents are wanting to help him for his kids sake then i understand where they are coming from. His children are innocent and they don't deserve to be punished and do without because their father is an idiot. Maybe have a little sympathy for the poor kids. not for him though.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• delete him and limit contact with him. your parents will always help him out because thats what all parents do. All parents always try to fix or help their children, but just remember hes not your son not your problem! I hope things get better for ya just keep your head up and focus on your children
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• He sounds toxic, life is short.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2010