Should I use earplugs for my two year old when we go to see fireworks?

I think she may fall asleep anyways...If she is asleep I will cover her ears and if she is awake she will try to pull plugs out. Are they important?

We are going to fireworks in town tommorow, at a church party on Sunday, and then at the beach on Monday. Is that too much for her?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on how far you are from them. When they start see how loud they are. I think she will be fine. Most places don't set them off close to the spectators. I actually think they have to do them so far away by law, but not sure.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• We are going to get ear muffs for DS he is sensitive to loud sounds so I think fire works would definitely be a problem with out them.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Ear plugs or cotton stuffed in her ears are a good idea so she isn't totally spooked. It's a lot but if she's sleeping well it should be okay.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would. Just in case.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No not ear plugs...get those ear muffs that block sound out by being placed over ears as opposed to in. Been using them on my son since he was 10 months old (we went and saw Joe Satriani)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My friend Bethany was TERRIFIED of fireworks when she was that age. Her parents always gave her earplugs. She would scream and cry without them. We weren't sure if it was the actual fireworks that were scaring her or if the noise was hurting her ears. I say DEF. get earplugs. And as far as all the events go. I would just play it by ear. If she seems to be handling everything okay, then go for it and take her to the stuff. If she seems tired or worn out, I'd try and arrange a way so that she can get her rest.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• depends on distance
    and
    if your child has sensitive issues with sound (has she ever covered ears with hands?)
    if she has covered ears before, then i would

mine never had problem with loud sounds
    and fireworks do not seem louder than a lot of trucks going by
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I dont know about ear plugs cause i know my son wouldn't keep them in i would atleast try ear muffs which is what im going to do this yr with my son cause he is really sensitive to loud sounds, even when i vacume he gets alittle scared...
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2010