having hard time breast feeding too full but if i try to pump i dont get much relief from 1 breast is there anything i can do

billiebaby

Asked by billiebaby at 11:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was better able to hand express some milk out than I was at pumping...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• For some, pumping does not work. Try hand expression. and you don't need to get much out to allow baby to latch on. I am assuming that this is in the first 2 weeks...it will get better in a couple days and you won't have to worry about it once your body regulates out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Are you using a hand pump or electric? I found the hand pump worked better at first.

Also, call the lactation consultant. They were able to help me alot. Dont give up....it really does get better!!!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Something else that I did was to get a towel and make it damp with the warmest water you can and wrap around the breast. It helped with let down when pumping.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I used a heating pad on my breast while pumping, it really helped the milk let down especially when I was too full
    MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 11:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• What type of pump do you have? I have bought a few of the cheaper and found that they are just not effective. I now have a Medela which I got for $40 on craigslist. I bought all new parts for it and it still ended up being under $100. There is a huge difference between this pump and others I've purchased. Also, most hospitals will rent you a pump. Try taking a hot shower or putting a warm wash cloth on your breasts. That may help them release some milk.
    MrsTWalsh

Answer by MrsTWalsh at 12:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You might need a different sized cup for your pump. I had to have two different sizes, one was much larger than the other one. As soon as I figured that out it made a huge difference in my pumping! hand expressing didn't work for me, I ended up brusing myself trying to get out the milk.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Hand express a little, then try to latch again. I'd also recommend checking with an IBCLC or a LLL leader, or go to an LLL meeting. They can offer different tips, positions, ect to help a baby latch onto an engorged breast. They also can tell you if the pump fits you right, and many sell the different size flanges for the pumps.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• one thing that I was told by the lactation consultant was whether breastfeeding or pumpin take your 3 fingers (not pinky) and put them around your nipple and press in. Keep a towel handy as it will leak milk everywhere. It helps to let your breast soften enough to either latch or to help pump. Good luck.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010