Should I take my 3 week old to the fireworks?

My 3 year old wants to go, and I'd like to go with her and her dad, but I can't leave the baby. He doesn't generally startle at loud noises (he does have a 3 year old sister, after all) but I'm afraid the fireworks will be too much.

Jmum

Asked by Jmum at 12:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i woudlnt worry about it. can you leave him in the car or in the house (and sit with him where you can also still see)?? is it somewhere where you can do that? i took DS to a live band at a coffe shop at 4 weeks and he slept through it.
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 12:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i would not
    maybe if very far away, so you can see, but that is pretty young
    IMO
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• They will be too much! His little ears are just developing, I would NOT go. His is so little I would worry about hearing damage.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 12:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I hate to say no to the 3 year old, but in this case I would stay home. Better yet, instead of going to fireworks where they are held, how about you do what we did (we have 1 yr olds): take the kids to a nearby area where you can see the fireworks but not too close where the noises would be overpowering. We tailgated in a strip center parking lot with friends, about a mile (maybe 10 blocks) away from where they were doing the fireworks in the park. We had about 4cars full of friends and family & we chatted & enjoyed ourselves. We herded the newly walking toddlers around until about 10pm when the show started. We could see it but not hear the big booms. The scenery wasnt as nice as the park, & we couldnt hear the music, but the company was great. . Your 3 year old might not make it awake until the fireworks start anyway- my 1 year olds were awake for the 10pm show but they took naps at 6pm. I think this is a healthy compromise.
    dianiewill

Answer by dianiewill at 12:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No. Way too loud for a newborn

Answer by rkoloms at 12:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• How old is the baby? We took DS at 10 months and he did great.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Duh, I just re-read the title. I dont know if I would take a 3 week old. Depends on how far away you're goin to be. We have fireworks here that you can see clear across the city and we often park far enough away that you cant even hear them from inside the car at all.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i wouldn't at 3 wks it could just be too much for his little ears and i wouldn't want to take him around alot of people cause him being little he can catch just about anything:(
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think I would. I'm sure if you are watching a fireworks show you won't be right next to the noise. If he has a problem then you can just take him to the car for a little bit or just snuggle him next to you.
    jdhshamoo

Answer by jdhshamoo at 12:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Our kids never minded loud noises like that except when we were too close. Like the 4th of July fireworks we sat a distance away so they were fine. But at a major league baseball game it was completely different because we were much closer. I say if you want to go go for it. Just keep a distance and cover your baby's ears if you notice him not liking it.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 12:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2010