Do you believe that people who getting married young are most likely to get a divorce?

I hear people say all the time that when you get married at a young age your most likely to end divorced. I dont beleive that. At what age were you married? What are your opinions?

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• No I think that it relies more on maturity. You could be 18 and ready and mature but my father who is 50 something will never be ready for marriage. With that in mind younger marriages typically involve less mature people so yes they end more. Does this always have to be the case? No.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No -- people who get married for the wrong reasons are more likely to get divorced though IMO
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I dont believe it even though everyone I know is divorced... I was married @ 16 Im 28 now and me and my husband are still going strong I dont listen to negative comments everyone is different
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 12:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• We got married at 19, just before we both turned 20. So far, so good, been a little over 7 years now.
    I think if you really love the person and are willing to keep working at it, and grow together, it will work.
    But, if you marry for the wrong reasons (to get out of the house, because you think it will be fun to "play house" or just because you got pregnant) it may not. I say may not, not will not.
    Even people who marry older get divorced.
    My mom married my dad at 17, and got divorced after 17 years, she married again at 35 and has been miserable the whole time. She only married the second time because she was lonely. Wrong reasons all around.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i think people who are willing to give up on their marriage are more likely to get a divorce. it has nothing to do with age.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't believe that either. there are people that get married young who stayed married, and happily married their entire lives, there are people that wait and have happy marriages and dont' get divorced either, and there are people that get married for all the wrong reasons that work things out and have a happy marriage as well. And same thing goes for divorces. When you get married, who you marry and why you marry do not have to mean divorce or not getting divorced. It all depends on your commitment to that person and their commitment to you.... for better or for worse, right? It has nothing to do with age etc.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't believe that at all. it has more to do with maturity than it does age. marriages end between young AND older couples, for a variety of different reasons. to make a lump-sum judgement like that, is ridiculous.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was married at age 23. Don't get me wrong our two years of marriage haven't been easy, but we're not headed for divorce.
    I believe that young people don't realize the work that needs to be put into married life. They don't realize how hard it can be at times, so when the waters get high they ditch out. However, kids are growing up faster these days and I think they're getting serious a lot quicker. Which helps them realize that because you're married doesn't make things fine and dandy.

It definately depends on the couple, on the reasons they got married, and how willing they are to stay commited to one another.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think it depends on the people involved and other factors (like problems in the marriage and such), not the age you were when you married. I was 21 when I married, and last week was mine and hubs 19th wedding anniversary.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I agree with melbornj, it does depend on maturity. I got married at 20, but I look at my 28 yo sister and she is not mature enough to share her life with a dog, much less a spouse. And like the pp said, younger people are generally (but not always) less mature, so that leads to problems and divorce.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010