What should i expect for the terrible twos??

My son is starting to act out now and he is almost two is this the terrible two's. He's my frst so im wanting to know what is too come?

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A friend and I were just talking about this. We think that a lot of the time the terrible two's are more in our head then anything. Sure, a child starts acting out more, but the more we act into it the more they play on it. They're going to act out the more we flip out. So everytime your son acts out just do the same old punishment like it's nothing new. If you start going crazy and yelling at him he's going to do it more and push harder.

I think that Terrible Two's are more exaggerated, because parents don't realize that it's not something we have to flip out about.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Just see how it goes. My first didn't really have a hard time at two. My youngest had temper tantrums!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Every child is different. At that age there just so curious to explore things. My first son was not as bad. My second started at one and he's still going terrible, he's not two yet.

PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• a lot of NO and MINE lol my son has quite the attitude. Good luck.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 12:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My kids never went through that stage. None of them ever had tantrums or anything like that. Now my son is in the terrible 15s. It's bad. Watch out!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Try not to expect the worst, because people (children included) do tend to live up to what ever expectation you have for them. You will likely have some battles over independence, but tantrums are not a given. When undesirable behaviors pop up try to get them under control before they become habits for your child or yourself; your response can become a bad habit just as quickly as his behavior can become a bad habit, so you want to make sure you find the best way to deal with things before they get out of hand. If you want good ideas for dealing with undesirable behavior in ways that have worked well for a lot of people check out Love & Logic; the techniques are great for little ones all the way through teens. I've also heard good reviews of 1,2,3 magic. Even if you choose not to use the techniques, the anecdotal stories will give you some ideas of what you might expect, and being prepared never hurts.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It depends on the child. My oldest hit the terrible twos at about 18 months. She went through a phase where she threw herself on the floor and had a screaming fit on a daily basis. My youngest never really had terrible twos; he is starting to get defiant in his threes, though.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My son never did the terrible two's. He decided to wait until he was three!! Like others suggest, don't try to anticipate the worst.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2010